JCM2000 TSL60 Head review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 TSL60 Head

Price paid: C$ 2600

Purchased from: L. A. Music

I play this amp with a Jackson SLSMG Soloist with Duncan 59s, Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s, and Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59 in the bridge and stock in the neck. The Music style I play ranges a lot, I play Jazz in a band, and thrash metal in another and this amp ranges very well for both of those, I barely have to use pedals, well mainly because I prefer not to, but because also I don't need to, this amp has a dream Marshall tone. The cleans are prestine clear, and with some eqing can range from mid cutting sharp high tones to warm jazz low tones, with a boost of the gain (or cut the gain on the crunch channel) you can also get a nice blues tone easily, the cleans are THAT good. For the crunch, let me say the overall distortion on this amp is amazing, the bottom end is there which most Marhsall amps, or any amps for that matter, are missing. This amp has a big bottom end kick, but with some eqing you can take that out as well. Back to the crunch, this channel isn't to heavy, personally I would only use it for a slightly overdrive blues tone, or a classic rock tone, but the lead channel is where it's at, it has a lot of gain, especially for a Marshall, over course you cannot compare it to a Splawn, or an Engl, or a Krank, etc, because those amps are designed specifically for ultra gain, but this amp handles gain well, in my band we play Megadeth, Metallica, Dream Theater, etc. It does them all really well, but when you get into those really heavy metal bands, you will probably need a good distortion pedal to get those ultra-brutal tones, but this amp handles the normal heavy brutal tones. Let me just note that the lead tone is amazing, truly tonal heavy from a lead guitarists perspective, and very versatile.

I use this for Jazz, Thrash metal, 80s metal, rock, and classic rock, it fits perfect and is very versatile for them all, I would definitely recommend it. I've been playing for 8 years and this amp is one of the best I've owned, other then a Diezel I owned a couple years back, I don't regret buying this amp at all, I love it, if it was stolen or lost I would most likely replace it, but that all depends on my budget, If I had more money I would go with a more expensive amp most likely. I love it because of it's great tone and versatility, that's where the amp shines, especially the lead and the cleans. This amp is perfect as it is, except, this is a minor thing, a separate EQ for the crunch and the lead.

I don't need a back up with this amp, it's built solid, I've owned it for quite a bit of months, and I've never had a single problem with it yet and I'm happy about that, I've never even had any minor problems, except for the odd bad interference or fuzz, but that's a problem in my pedal chain, or crappy cables, etc. I have not gone through the stock tubes yet.

This amp is all tube, three channels which are Clean, Crunch, and Lead, all switchable on the 5 button foot Switch, which all features reverb and fx loob toggles, it also includes emulated line out, and an fx mix control. For tubes, this amp comes with 4 ECC83s in the preamp, and 2 EL34s in the power amp. I use this amp to gig and for bedroom practice, although it is very loud, you can get a decent distortion without having to go to loud, but of course the cranked distortion is a lot better. For gigs this amp has more then enough power, without a P A system, I don't even go past 7-8, so it works fine, and that is even to loud. The only thing it's missing is a separate EQ between lead and crunch, but you will probably only end up using the lead the most anyways.

AlexAvarice
    6_Feet_Below wrote: you got wat u payed for and u payed $2 ?!?! huh wtf?
    I can only pray it was a typo... I would do anything for an amp of this quality at such a low price.
    synth002
    Jesus this head is bad lol, the cleans are realy nice but the distortions are just a fuzzy trebley mess!! 3 channels, footswitchable FX make & solo boost make it worth it if you need a gigging amp on a budget though. Seriously though, awful distrotions.
    ShadesOfNight
    Kevin Saale
    All the people talking about the power of the amps are wrong. To the guy that said a tube amp puts out more watts than an SS is wrong. Yes, when you crank them they put out more watts than what they are rated. As for a cab, it needs to have as much wattage as the head, extra is not necessary unless you want no speaker breakup. The head make more power than they are rated for, but speaker companies know this and their speakers can handle more wattage than they are rated for.
    Kevin Saale
    Mrtomtwo
    wouldnt you want break up on your cabs (for a short time anyway ) to get the proper overdriven sound without resorting to onboard channels ? if so just make sure you got the right impedance (load)match on the Amp n Cab
    rzemon
    Personally, I don't like the TSL series. There is something wrong about their construction. It is as if they had too much of everything, but not enough of rock if you know what I mean. JCM 800 stays number one Marshall amp for me.
    tomguitarr
    anyone who has this amp!, take out the marshall EL34 and put in electro harmonix EL34 tubes, and notice the difference, sounds way more acrticulate and has a much more punchy sound.
    DSchmitty
    Kevin Saale wrote: Oops, left out a part on that second paragraph To the guy that said a tube amp puts out more watts than an SS is wrong. Yes, when you crank them they put out more watts than what they are rated, but not triple. Not to mention if you're cranking a 100watt head into breakup it's probably way too effin loud.
    Wrong, with a tube amp you need to have the cabinet with triple the wattage to prevent the cleans from breaking up, what your referring to is a natural break up, but you want your cleans to still be clean at high volumes so you don't have to switch.
    Mr. Tomnus
    ShadesOfNight wrote: Csquared1001 wrote: epiphone310 1. if you don't know the answer to that question then don't get a tube amp until you know what ur doing 2. no, the head is the AMPLIFIER which amplifies the singal of the pickups. It is the on that has the tube circuit and all that. The Speaker is what gives you the sound that comes from the amp. without it the amp is usless. Oh one important this NEVER NEVER NEVER RUN A AMPLIFIER HEAD WITHOUT A SPEAKER ATTACHED! but iv seen some bands in the studio recording with just the head attached into protools. so it cant do much real harm can it?
    but this is because they are amplifying straight to the mixing board/computer. the amplifier itself is making no noise because it is plugged in, and not miked. And while it wont do any real harm, it also wont do any real noise, because there arent speakers in the head. just thought you might like to know
    -Ravenous-
    just a quick quesiton but does this head have the ability to change the power, i.e from 60W to 20W ect. I've reado somehere they can, just wanting confrimation.
    . Not quite true, this amp the TSL 60 can't do that as far as i know, but its bigger brother the TSL 100 does something like that, i dont think it actually changes the wattage, but it gives it the "charecterists" of a 25 watt amp