JCM2000 TSL60 Head review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 TSL60 Head

Purchased from: The Blue Newspaper - Danish secondhand website

I'm using an Ibanez rg321ex with a Seymour Duncan Passive "Dimebucker" in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Passive "Invader" in the neck. I play metal, Black metal and Deathcore, and this amp is a Marshall which means it's not exactly a "death metal amp," but I think if you want to stick with Marshall and you play metal, this amp is a great amp, because it has a lead channel with lots of gain, and the tubes are making a nice and "chunky" sound. But I would not recommend getting a Marshall, if you play extreme metal genres, because IMO it's mainly made for the classic rock genre.Which it's perfect for. When you play metal with hi-gain settings, the distortion gets kind of blurry, and if you can't live with that you'll have to get an ENGL, Mesa Boogie, you name it. I can't give it a low rating, because this amp keeps it promises. It has great tube-sound, and the distortion goes pretty far besides metal. You can play everything like blues, rock, punk, 80's metal, but you won't get much further than that with a Marshall.

I've been playing guitar for 7 years now, for the last 2 years I haven't played much besides metal, if my Marshall were stolen, I would probably build a rack with some Engl preamp to get a better hi-gain distortion. Beside the muddy hi-gain and channel-switch delay I can't really say anything bad about this amp. Buy it if you play anything but extreme-metal.

It's a tube amp so of course you'll have to be careful throwing it from 3rd floor, but it's a Marshall, and Marshall are known for building their amps pretty solid and reliable, so I don't worry too much about it. I've had some troubles with the reverb knob on the footswitch, and the footswitch is in general rather sucky, cause it has a delay for about half a second before the channel switches, which is pretty fatal when you gig.

Tube amp with three channels. Clean, Crunch and Lead. 4 ECC83s in the preamp, and 2 EL34s in the power amp. I play metal and in this review I will focus on how this amp fits in this genre. Yes, I know it's not a "Metal amp," but anyway, I thought someone might want to know if they could use this amp for metal too.