JCM900 review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM900

Purchased from: auction

I use my Gibson Les Paul Studio with it and it's just amazing. The amp is a perfect match for the Les Paul. It is perfect for that AC/DC hard rock sound. The amp is not very noisy and if cranked up the distortion just sounds amazing. The amp doesn't really have that much variety except clean distorted and some reverb but it does allow for an effects loop. The clean channel is not distorted at high volumes. The distortion is just killer.

This amp makes a perfect match for the hard rocker or classic rock fan. It easily gives a great sound for AC/DC Angus Young riffs. I've been playing for about two years and I also currently own a Marshall MG30DFX and this amp kicks that one's ass! If it were stolen or lost I would be searching eBay right away for a new one or if I had the money a JCM800. I just love the distortion. There isn't anything that I hate. I just got it cause it was cheap and ended up loving it. I wish it had a separate eq for each channel.

I can depend on this amp. I haven't had one problem since it was serviced when I first bought it. I would use it without a backup but make sure to have an extra pair of tubes. When I first purchased this amp it wasn't currently working. I took the head in to get serviced and new tubes but the amp still didn't' work. There was a loose solder on one of the wires for the speakers but it was a quick fix. This was probably do to not being serviced and wear from being so old.

This was made during the '90s. The amp is versatile enough for my styles of music. I play classic rock and hard rock and the distortion on this amp is just amazing! This amp has two channels but only one eq for the channels. It also has an effect loop. I mainly use this amp for gigging. It definitely has enough power with the 50 what head and half stack with 4 12" Celestons. This is a tube amp 50 watt with dual reverb.

Sora 01
    I am extremly satisfyed with the way this amp handles my setup for metal
    High_o
    jcm900 for blues and softer rock? isn't this one of marshalls most agressive amps? maybe you need to crank it to allow it to reach its full potential, or maybe you need new tubes, like boba899 said. also, wtf is up with this amp getting an 8 overall, but mg's and shit get 9's and 10's? (well, i know the reason, but still wtf)
    JoshK
    I own this amp and I don't feel like writing a full review for it but I will admit the overdriven tone sucks at low volumes, but once you get up up to 4 or 5 on the Master volume control it gains a lot of body in the midrange and becomes chunkier...also try cranking the master and setting the Pre-Amp gain to taste...yes it will be very loud, either tell your sound guy at a gig not to mic it or buy some kind of power attenuator....oh and the stock tubes are trash, but I didn't change to EL34s because personally I like the clean headroom 5881s provide. And if its a problem of not having enough gain...through a Marshall 1960A I get enough gain to play in my Power Metal band...if you need more than that well you're on your own...