JMD-1 review by Marshall

Marshall: JMD-1

I play the JMD-1 100 watt head through a 4x12 Marshall 16 ohm angled cab. This cabines sounds MUCH better than the mated M412A. So for 1700.00 bucks you can basically have a pretty good sounding 1/2 stack with the versitility to gig covers or satisfy most Marshall sounds you have come to know. I'm playing classic rock, blues and Top 40 covers and the amp covers most of these bases. For extreme Metal, you may want to look elsewhere.

Very satisfied. Thumbs up on "almost" everything. What are the thumbs down you ask? He effects. Thumbs sideways. The delay is decent, but not controllable enough. The chorus sucks. I use my Boss Multi Chorus in the effects loop. Flanger is kinda cheesy. Phaser is decent. Reverb is good but limited. Noise Gate is good but when you utilize it you forfeit the rest of the modulation effects! So using the Chorus and a compessor as outboard gear, I use the reverb and delay and have the option of noise gate or Phaser, flanger. For the money though, I still give it a 9.5 overall. An overall 10 would be with a better chorus, midi cc commands, and better tweakability of effects. I love the sounds so far and I think this amp will bump my Mesa Express as my main overall amp to gig/practice with. I'll probably make a small rack and use my ground control to get the many more preset access. A few good pedals for tweaking the sounds a bit more like an EQ, OD/DIST, COMPRESSOR, CHORUS, and I'm set!

I'll give it a 10 because its build quality is as good as the British assembled amps. No problems yet. Since I just purchased this, I'll resubmit a review later on dependability. Since it DOES have 5 tubes, it's not bullet proof. One thing I noticed and this is typical with most hybrid amps. The louder you play it... Or crank the Master Volume, the more ALL TUBE like it will sound.

This amp just recently came out for 2010. It has many reviews on youTube and the like. I have another quasi-review on a "reply" to the ONLY review of this amp on this site. Very versatile. Main reason for purchase. 16 preamps simulations. 5 real tubes. 4 power EL34's and 1 preamp 12 AX7. With the provided footswitch you get 28 possible storable patches and with a midi controller such as a Ground Control, you can store up to 128 patches. I wish you could issue midi CC commands, thereby allowing you to turn on and off effects, etc. But for now the unit will only accept "program changes". For the price the feature set is very good.

yojimbo9999
    fantastic amp, i got one new about 6 months ago. i've owned all-tube fenders, marshalls, and vox's, and i'd absolutely recommend this to anyone who's looking for something with more features and tones than the standard tube amp, that doesn't sacrifice tone! I think Marshall's late to the modelling game, but you wouldn't know it with this Amp. I'm neutral on how i feel about the built in effects - they're okay - but not as good or tweakable as most stompboxes. That aside, the presets on this thing are generally bang on in terms of what they're trying to emulate!