JMD-1 review by Marshall

Marshall: JMD-1

I can not say enough about how great this amp sounds. I paired mine with a 1960 slant cab. This was a huge improvement over the stock cab that they pair the amp with. Once you dive into the different amp models the amp has you will be very impressed. Keep in mind you still need to dial in the sounds to get the sounds you want but once you do look out. Anyone who has used the Line 6 amps and thought that they sound digital will not think that hear. Also I have the original Vox Valvetronix amps before they went cheaper and the problem there was once the amp is turned up it does not sound as good. Here the amp sounds amazing as the amp gets louder. The cleans are clean. The Distortion can do anything. From early 70s AC DC to Modern Distortion that is used by current rock bands.

Sound and quality are off the charts. Considering the price paid there is not an amp that comes close. My friend has a Jcm 200 Tsl 100 and it is a great amp but when you compare the flexability of the Jmd 1 my friend was amazed. At no time can you peg this hybrid amp, it sounds like an all tube head. The only reason I am not giving it a 10 is due to the repair of the amp. I will say if you are looking for an amazing sounding amp that can do it all this is it.

Ok here was the one area that was not flying colors. I did by the amp used from GC and they did remove the tubes when they shipped the head. I purchased the 12 month warrenty for $50. After a little bit the amp sounded great then at random times would buzz and get a boost in volume for 2-3 seconds then stop. This would continue at random times. I sent the amp in for repairs which took a total of 5 business days. I spoke to the repair tech and he said the tubes went bad and took out some fuses. He changed all the tubes (4) and repaired the fuses. I have had it back for a few months without a problem. He felt it was an issue with the tubes and not the head.

I you are a person who does not want to put a lot of money into a pedal board then this amp is for you. While it does not have everything it has the mainstays. The Reverb and delays are quite nice. The Noise Gate on this amp is outstanding. The Chorus, flanger and phaser I never use but I would say they sound nice but not as robust as a pedal. Overall the fact you can program 24 banks of specific sounds makes it great for covering songs when you play out. It would be nice if it had a tuner but that is minimal.