JMP 2203 review by Marshall

Marshall: JMP 2203

Purchased from: Uncle Bob's Music

I have 3 guitars that I use, a 1968 Gibson Les Paul, a 1978 MusicMan Sabre 2, a 1985 Fender Strat, all have been modified with special pickups. Depending on how you set the volume and tone controls, you can get any sound you want. As I said earlier, this amp has the best tone of any guitar amp ever made. As far as volume goes, it has plenty of volume for any sized gig.

I play classic rock, and blues. I have been playing professionally since the late seventies. I have 3 other guitar amplifiers, a Fender, a Mesa Boogie, and another Marshall (a JCM 2000 TSL). None of them has the tone, or reliability that this amp has. If this amp were to be stolen, I would definitely replace it with another JMP-2203. I love the tone of this amp the most, I love the reliability of it the second most. There is absolutely nothing that I hate about it.

I have owned this amp since 1979, when I bought it new, and it has never ever given me any trouble. I have my amps serviced regularly, and I am on my fourth set of groove tubes, but other then that my amp is 100% original. I have an Anvil road case that I use to transport my amp, and I always let the amp cool down for at least 20 minutes before trying to move it. This has been the most dependable amp that I have ever owned. I could use this amp, without a backup, if I wanted to. I have 3 other amps that I use in conjunction with this amp, depending on what music is being played.

I have a 1979 Marshall JMP-2203. I bought it brand new in 1979. It is in my opinion the finest guitar amp ever made. It is very simple in design, and works perfectly every time I use it. I play classic rock, and blues, and this amp has the best tone of any guitar amp ever made. I use either 1 or 2 Marshall speaker enclosures, depending on the size of the room. I run Boss and Morley pedals through it. It has plenty of power, and headroom. I am on my fourth set of groove tubes, other then that, the amp is 100% original.

Necrolysis
    Lester_molester wrote: to anyone who said this is a bad review, you're dumb. this is the ideal review. he didn't over rate things he didn't know about, and on an amp with only a few knobs, it can't get above a 4 or 5 for features, because there are other amps with more knobs/switches/jacks than you can count
    you are an idiot. 'features' aren't about the NUMBER of features, its about how bad ass those features are period. take any classic tube amp, then get a modeling amp. sure the modeling amp sounds (somewhat) like the original, the quality of the tube's overdrive is better than all the features combined.
    MaggaraMarine
    The overall rating thing sucks because it's only the average of ratings. The overall rating should only be taken from impression. It tells the best what you're thinking.
    AndyHz
    Shred-Hed : DUDE. HIGH INPUT IS FOR HIGH OUTPUT PICKUPS (Humbuckers). LOW INPUT IS FOR LOW OUTPUT PICKUPS (Single Coils). Pretty sure the high input just has some added noise reduction/compression. DUDE. you are an idiot as well. Full retard at that. Common theme here I guess.. high and low has nothing to do with pickup type. Low input bypasses the first gain stage so its less gain.
    plexi123
    rockfreak611 wrote: Good call on AC/DC using JMPs. Angus used JMPs on all of their albums up to The Razor's Edge. I believe he used non-master volumes on High Voltage and Dirty Deeds and then used MVs on Let There Be Rock after AC/DC was sponsored by marshall and was given brand new 1977 amps (obviously MVs). I know way too much about AC/DC for my own good .
    For a while, Angus used JTM45s (a lot of the stuff with Bon Scott), then switched to non master volume JMPs (Back in Black?), then I think master volume JMPs. 1970 SG was his main guitar, plugged straight into the amp.