JTM30 review by Marshall

Marshall: JTM30

Purchased from: Craigslist

It has that classic Marshall roar, being that I heard it's basically like a JCM900 combo, so It's perfect for me, since I generally like that classic Marshall tone like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Sabbath, etc. I play it with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (soon to be playing a Gibson Les Paul Standard) and it sounds fantastic with the humbuckers. I don't own a Strat yet but I did play my Squier through, and it still sounded pretty good. I've even cranked it up all the way, and it was amazing. It really shines when cranked, even though it still sounds great at lower volumes. Now, the only pedals I've played it with were a Vox Clyde McCoy wah (pretty nice) and an MXR Distortion+ (not a fan of that pedal) and it seemed to not be too noisy with the pedals.

I got this amp on a blind craigslist trade, where I traded a 1971 Fender princeton amp for this amp, and though you may think it was crazy, the princeton just wasn't my style, and this amp is darn near perfect for me. Overall, it's got just the right features and sounds great. I may eventually upgrade speakers and tubes, but in the meantime, it's fine. If it were stolen, I'd probably not be able to find another one of these, so then I might would save up now that I have a job and get an Orange amp or Laney etc. But it's tend to go for about 400-500 on eBay I think, so I think for the money this or a Classic 30 (depending on your style) are the best bangs for the buck at budget tube amps.

From reading other reviews online, a lot of these amps have overheating problems, but fortunately, I've never had this problem, but I couldnt say so on other models. Otherwise, I would totally use it without a backup definitely. Now if something were to happen to this amp, and I didn't know a good tech, you'd be in a rut, because these are discontinued amps. be aware though that I think you can still find schematic sheets and the manual online.

Mine is a 1995 30 watt, 1x12 speaker amp with 2 channels. It has treble, middle, bass, reverb, master volume, and channel independent volume controls. It also has an effects loop and works with my Vox footswitch.

Sudaka
    i am the first, yeah! i would put this review was helpful, but this amp is disconyinued, so i can't get it even if i wanted to (and i want) i love when you said "AC/DC tone"... that's all i want