JTM45 review by Marshall

Marshall: JTM45

Purchased from: Local seller 35 years back

This amp has the best sound of any amp I have ever heard and I have heard quite a lot! Obviously you wont be able to play thrash metal on this or anything near it, but with no Drive control it just breaks up beautifully! When you think of exactly what you want your guitar to sound like this is it, I may sound like I am over hyping this amp but until you have played or heard one in person you won't be able to understand that not only is it super collectible but also amazing sounding. Also would like to add this in here as there is no smell section, just the smell of this amp makes you want it, beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

If you ever see one consider yourself lucky these are ultra rare, hard to date as none of them in the 62/63 era have serial numbers on them, we had to go to Marshall HG in Milton Keynes to get ours dated. This is not only a piece of history but an outstanding clean, country blues and rock amp, also bought it off of blind neighbour some odd 35 years back hence why it was only 200 buying one now would be a whole nother story. If it was stolen or lost I would probably never forgive myself as it is irreplaceable. The ONLY negative about this amp is that because of its value and history you can't in a sane mind gig or openly play it and I have to keep it under lock and key when I'm not playing it. But that is a small price to pay for listening to a 50 year old piece of history! Also to anyone who didn't know Jim started making Marshalls in late 62 and this is a late 62 amp, hand built by the man himself. One last note, the sound this gives off is so satisfying to hear especially when you are playing it, it just is almost impossible to describe maybe it is because of its age or even if it is all just in my head but I took it into a very big music store to get some new valves and the store stayed open two hours longer than it should have just so all the members of staff could listen to it, I hope many of you get a chance to see one of these in action!

For a hand built amp made in Jim Marshall's kitchen (Also told to us by Marshall) it did have a few faults, output transformer needed to be re wound and one of the original mallard pre amp valves broke about 5 years ago so it has lasted a long time, but with an amp like this you won't gig with it maybe you would record with it but something like this is such a huge piece of history that I don't think anyone in their right minds would let this come to harm, also there was a crack in the aluminum original chassis from 50 years of playing.

This amp was made in 1962, not quite in the first 200 but close, made in late 1962 this amp was hand built by Jim Marshall himself, then later modified by Jim as well, he later added another jack output for a second cab and also added a resistor in to a certain part of the circuitry to improve the bass response, or something I'm not too technical myself but all modifications were done by Jim, we have this on good authority from Marshall themselves as they have the records. It is a four input manual switching (have to unplug and replug back in) channel selection, beautiful harmonica style logo only seen on late 1962s and very early '63s. It has a polarity switch, and on and off switch a standby switch, a presence treble bass and mid control and a volume for channel one and volume for channel two. This may sound simple but for its time it is a work of art! 6 tubes in total as well.

jackrayment
    So because an amp is rare it means I shouldn't review it? If you are looking for a "JTM 45 RI" then why click on a title that says JTM-45.
    jackrayment
    We just found out that this amp is actually number 36! That is the 36th amp ever made by jim marshall, haha
    65panhed
    This review, while entertaining, is ridiculous! To the modern guitarist the chance to even see on of these amps would be a godsend. To plug in and rip into 5 minutes of a blues solo anything close would be a miracle. It ain't happenin folks. If you, as I did, come looking for a review of a JTM 45 RI, this ain't gonna cut it. They are two different animals. I'm glad this guy has one of the originals, but for you or me, again, it ain't happenin. If you are blessed enough to play an original, I bow to you. For me and the vast majority of us will never even see one. great review for what its worth but that in reality ain't much.