JTM600 review by Marshall

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Marshall: JTM600

Purchased from: Local guitar shop

I currently use this amp with a PRS Custom 24 and Fender Strat. Both great guitars with individual tones. This amp has one of the best clean channels I've ever heard. Not like a Fender clean, which can be too sensitive, just a great, warm, crystal clear clean channel. Sounds fantastic turned up to get a wonderful light overdriven tone. Put a tube screamer in front of it and it sings. This thing suits rock n roll music period. Not metal. Rock n roll. The OD channel gives you a great classic rock tone, very Hendrix or Robin Trower like. Though I prefer cranking the clean to really break up those tubes. Perfection. This amp must be played through a good cabinet. I do not have the original 4x10 cab anymore, I play through a 1936 2x12. Sounds great. The 4x10 couldve almost been used as a bass cab! Great low end, very clear crisp tone. Damn, I wish I had that back!

I've had this thing since 1998 and I still love it. I love it more and more the older I get. This thing has shaped the way I play. A great rock n roll amplifier. If it were stolen I would definitely look for another, but I'm not sure I could find one. These things are nowhere to be found on ebay or craigslist or any guitar shop. If you have one, hang on to it. And if you come across one for sale, buy it. Fantastic Marshall tone.

Heres where it gets a little cloudy. I've had this thing for most of my guitar playing days. Even when I knew nothing about the care and maintenance of a tube amp. And because I never took the time to research how to properly handle tube amps, this thing has (broken down) on me a couple times. Blown fuses, blown tubes. I think it is more user error than faulty amp. Now that I'm older and wiser and know what it takes to keep a tube amp sounding great, it has had no problems. I change the tubes out about once a year, and get it properly biased every time. One thing that is different than most tube amps is that the tubes in this one lay horizontally and not standing up like most others. I think this might cause the amp to run a little hotter than others, but as long as your in a ventilated area and not backed up to a wall, things should be fine. I've heard of other people sticking a mini fan back there just to make sure. I don't do this, but it couldnt hurt.

I have a feeling this amp might be a bit of a collectors item. I know this amp is a very rare line of Marshall's made back in '97. It was only in production for that year. I got it brand new in the summer of 1998. I was only seventeen and had been playing for a couple of years. It was a gift to me from my father. I have had it and been playing it since that time. Other amps have come and gone, but this one has always stayed with me. It comes in a tweed Vintage brown color. I think that was the only color it was produced in. It comes with a 4x10" cabinet (though the cab has been stolen from me a couple years ago). 2 channels, clean and dirty, 60 watts, Seperate EQ for both channels. Seperate reverb for both channels (nice), four ECC83's and two EL34 tubes, series and parallel effects loops. This amp has plenty of power for me. I use it for small club gigs. I still love it after 12 years!