JTM600 review by Marshall

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Marshall: JTM600

Price paid: € 1000

Purchased from: Local Music Shop Linberg Munich

I use Ibanez S470 with original pickups. The neck humbucker is just great. I also use Cort G260 with duncan pickups. I can play everything with it but I use it mosltly for blues, rock and hardrock. The clean channel is great not Marshall like. The gain channel is also very good frim overdrive to heavy riffing distirtion but I use stompboxes so I don't really need it. The clean channel gets crunchy from about 6 - 10. If you turn the Master volume all the way, it starts too crunch at about 8. Its not very noisy and you can experiment with tubes for taste.

Like I said I play all kinds of blues and rock songs from Hendrix to Nirvana and this guy likes it all. Been playing for 24 years now. I also own a modified Peavey Valve King 112, Zoom G5, lot of Boss and Ibanez stomboxes etc. And also a lot of studio gear for semiprofessional recording. If it were stolen I would miss it becaise its probably very hard to find due to it being in production for only a year and a half. It has its own charachter and its the cleanest sounding Marshall ever, so it would probably hard search to find something similar. I love everything about it... I compared it to JCM800, Fender Deluxe, Peavey Valveking and a Vox Hybrid. I like the valveking and Fender Deluxe and they all have their individual strengths. If I I could I'd probably own all three. Still I'd say that the JTM is the most versatile.

This part is problematic eventhough after owning it for 16 years now I never needed to fix it. Because they do get HOT and the tubes are really close to a chassis where the electronics are a small computer fan or two like I did is a must. That's why I probably never had problems with it and it stays nice and cold. So yes I can depend on it... I did change the tubes to get an optimal sound for myself. The original tubes were still working after 16 years though... Obe thing I noticed is thay on clean channell on the bass knob you hear almost no differnce between 5 to 10. For mecits enough and because I use stompboxes the sound has more bottom anyway.

Got it new sometime in 1997. Mine is a combo with 3x10" eminence Heritage speakers. I play with it everything from blues to metal. It has two channels (clean and boost/gain), both with its own Eq's, volume and reverb knobs each. There's also a Master knob for Overall volume. It has a channelswitch but also a footswitch that came with it. There is a presence knob in the back and a plug for external cab or PA connection. Serial and Parallel Fx loop both. It has everything I need and more. For example I never use a serial Fx and I still didn't need a cab for it. It has 60 watt power with 2x El34 power tubes and 4x 12ax preamp tubes. Enough for rehearsals and up to medium gigs.

Andytheman87
    I bought mine second hand and did little research on it before buying. It has a great clean tone so I typically use it with a boss multi-effects pedal like the me-50 or the GT 10 but I've never been able to find it crunch naturally without using external pedals. The overdrive tone is very grainy but not distorted so it's not even distorted enough for ac/dc I'm not sure what it would be used for. From what I've heard you need to crank the master knob just to get a decent sound out of it but since I play in my apartment I can't really turn it up that loud to see what the amp can really do. I'm no expert but I would recommend this app to anybody who uses multi effects pedals because the clean tone is great and because it's a 60 watt amp you get good loud tones with a blowing the roof off.