MA50C review by Marshall

Marshall: MA50C

Purchased from: Online vendor

The unit is very quiet with average pickups used. I have a simple Squire strat and even with those basic pickups I do not hear hum or noise when the guitar is sitting idle and the pickups are fully turned on. The gain on this amp in crunch mode is simply wicked.

I would like to see the pedals effects like a Vox Tonemaster SE, or GT-10 built into the unit someday. I would also like to see a loop control built into the unit as well. That would be really cool.

Well, considering it is a tube amp, so far so good. As I mentioned previously, the master controls for resonance, reverb, and presence do not work on my unit. The one at the store did work so it may just be an odd ball.

This is a two-channel Marshall amp. It is a tube/valve unit, not solid state. It has an effects loop in the back for hooking in effect pedals and the like. A foot Switch also comes with the units. It has one 16 ohm and two 8 ohm connections on the back as well. I am planning on putting a Vox Tonelab SE in the effects loop connections and a DigiTech jamman in front of the amp to see if this combination works well. The sound out of this unit is tremendous. Clean or crunched, it sounds great. The controls adjust well. I have one issue with my unit and that is the master circuit for reverb, resonance, and presence does not work. Since the unit is brand new, it should be covered under Marshall's warranty. I don't know if this is a one time deal with this circuit or whether it is in the whole line. Other users will have to comment to see if this is the case. My suspicion is that I just happened to get a bad unit. The one I demo'd at the Samash store did not have this issue. Compared to the Haze40 Marshall, this amp blows it away in sound quality. I compared some Line 6 units as well as Peavy and this unit was simply the best for a combo amp. The unit also has 100W versions for both head and combo. MA50H, MA100H, MA50C, MA100C. You get the picture. I'm interested to hear what other users have to say about tube/valve units in this price range from other suppliers. Rock on!

Juared
    Am I the only one who noticed that almost everyone spells Peavey wrong?
    EpiExplorer
    kacper_j
    sewoo55 wrote: are you sure the distortion sound is crunchy? i used a guitar with emg pickups and my marshall mg practice amp sounded heavier and crunchier than the MA50.....
    No it didn't.....
    rockfreak611
    The people that bash this amp have only tried it at bedroom level volumes and have never turned it up past 3. Like all tube amps, they sound like thin pieces of shit at lower volumes. Crank it up past 5, though, and the MA amps sound awesome! Match it with a cab loaded with V30s or greenbacks and you're set (the eminence loaded matching cab is shit).
    rfawarchild
    Chad11491 wrote: ride-the-spiral wrote: I've played this amp, but the distortion was so bad that I'm convinced there was a problem with the one I used. nah, me and the salesman at GC tried the 50 watt head and neither of us could get it to sound better than a box of pissed off bees....and it was cranked pretty high. The clean channel was excellent though..
    Those idiots at Guitar Center could'nt adjust the tone on a car stereo let alone a Marshall. Actually i have owned this head for a few weeks and although i agree the gain is a bit weaker then i expected...it definitely shines a lot more cranked over 5 and NOT using the matched cabs! As far as tone, this is not an amp for guys who just dial everything up to 10 and expect results...you need to KNOW tone!! Amp is great for everything except very heavy metal imho...then again i use a pedal for those times.
    Dwyer92
    Fucking brilliant amp, big muff fuzz through the clean channel sounds just like Hendrix, Zeppelin on the OD channel and as much insane feedback as you want on the boosted OD. Spec-****ing-tacular !!!
    d4rk4rr0w
    gewerh44 wrote: This amp is awesome. Youre a fool if you think that you can get a JCM2000 or JCM800 sound quality with 750 dollars. The MA50c is what it is: an affordable tube amp, and Marshall did an awesome job to not lose quality in order to lower the price. This amp rocks!!! And btw, about comparing a MG series amp to a MA series amp... well, you just dont do that. You only show youre an ignorant. P.S. To the metal heads here, get anything else if you wanna play death, thrash, or any of that shit. This amp is perfect for classic rock and hard rock. /g44/
    hey gewerh, its nine9live5 from youtube (probably dont remember me) glad to know ur on ug too
    gewerh44
    guitaristren
    I heard a lot of bad things about this amp like, "it's just an MG with tubes" and "Marshalls aren't heavy enough for metal". But I tried it out at the store and I was quite impressed. The amp is pretty decent sounding, not the best but beats most solid state amps around that price.
    CreepingDeath13
    i had the 100 watt combo, went through 2 of them then took it back and got a refund. both of them had the worst tube rattle (thats what were pretty sure it was) iv heard. The distortion was ok, a little fizzy and weak. I thought it sounded just average, nothing special. You can probably get better for your money. Its a entry level tube amp, it is what it is.
    Chad11491
    Irishman94
    Juared wrote: Am I the only one who noticed that almost everyone spells Peavey wrong?
    Im pretty sure the guys at "PEAVY" do too LMAO jk...
    Irishman94
    Linkerman wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Why use a Squier strat.. an Epi Les Paul would be only a little bit more cash and sound many times better. Especially through tube.. It's a matter of preference. If you want a bright, single-coil sound, a Squier Strat is a far better option than an Epi LP (with its bassy, muddy humbuckers).
    I got the best of both worlds! An Epi Les Paul with an Alder body!!! FTW it rawks
    ride-the-spiral
    the staggerwing
    Mwah... I'll just wait till some others are gonna review this amp... I mean ever since the MG series you can't be carefull enough
    Linkerman
    Adam124
    Your definition of crunchy is wrong then.
    sewoo55
    duzit006
    i tried this out .. it is a great price for a tube amplifier and the tones not bad either.. but if you can wait to save up for something better .. do it