MA50C review by Marshall

Marshall: MA50C

Price paid: € 450

Purchased from: keymusic

I use a Jackson WRXT Warrior and a Gibson Les Paul Studio on this amp. Occasionally adding some effects with a Boss GT-8. On the clean channel it sounds amazing. Messing with the volume and tone knobs on the guitar itself can also produce very interesting sounds on this amp. The overdrive channel can get you close to the 'acdc sound' and especially with the Gibson I use it a lot for playing blues. You can get some really nice sounds out of this but with higer gain and crunch balance it starts sounding much like the boost channel. The boost channel itself has plenty of gain, so much that I think it sounds like crap when you put the gain past 7-8 unless you're playing stoner metal. The Jackson is great for playing metal on this amp, it sounds really heavy while with the Gibson it sounds tight and has some massive sustain. Playing with gain, volume and presence made me discover a pretty big variety of sounds on this amp. There is some noise on the boost channel but its not to bad.

It's a good amp, but it's still the cheapest Marshall tube amp combo. It sounds like a Marshall but don't expect it to sound like a JCM800. I chose it because I prefer tube amps and needed a small practice amp with decent sound and that is exactly what this thing is. There is also a 100w version witch costs a few hundred more, but personally I don't think the difference in sound is worth that. It appeared to be louder as well and the 50w version is more than loud enough for me to practice with. What I like most about it is that you get a lot for your money. Everybody can afford it, it's a simple amp, and it has a good Marshall sound.

I have this amp for about 6 months now. No problems this far, aside from the nut around the input jack falling of and the input jack dissapearing into the amp sometimes. This can be fixed in 10 minutes by opening the back of the amp and loosening the 4 screws on top of the amp to get access to the electronics (do not touch your tubes!).

For the price this amp costs it's hard to complain about the features (it is the cheapest Marshall combo tube amp). It has a clean channel, overdrive channel and boost channel incl. Footswitch. The overdrive channel uses the same knobs as the boost channel but the sound can be altered with an added 'crunch balance' knob. The reverb, resonance and presence knobs change the sound on all 3 channels so there has to be some compromising to set up a good sound on each channel. All together I can always find a decent sound for every music style I play, from blues to heavy metal. On the back of the amp there is an effects loop send & return, and the ability off hooking up speaker cabinets to the amp. As far as power goes, it's a marshall. It has plenty of power. I use it as a practice amp in my room and on the boost channel with the volume on 5 it makes shit vibrate all over the room so I guess it could be used for small gigs.

MaggaraMarine
    "a small practice amp" lol. This thing doesn't look so small and it's not a practice amp.
    It's a good amp, but it's still the cheapest Marshall tube amp combo.
    No. Class 5 is cheaper.
    vince1991
    MaggaraMarine,
    No. Class 5 is cheaper.
    you are right i must have missed that one in the catalogue.
    This thing doesn't look so small and it's not a practice amp.
    compared to a full stack, or a car or a camel it is small and i use this amp to practice. that, to me, makes it a small practice amp. i notice i made a mistake as well. it's acctually 2 channels, the boost function just boosts the overdrive channel. is there any way to edit this?