MG100DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Marshall: MG100DFX

Purchased from: NZ Rockshops

Using a PRS Santana SE, tuned down to drop-A# (open C). Amp suits heavy metal/nu-metal that I play. KsE, Five Pointe O, Fear Factory... Amp does have a very solid state typical distorion rain but its minimal compared with the loud cooling fan on the back of the unit. I sometimes use the combo as a head unit for a 4x10 or 4x12 cabinet and have found it even in power with about a 80-100W guitar head.

Other amps worth comparing this with are the Laney Tube Fusion series, the Marshall AVT series and the Warp 7 series. I would take this amp over a Peavey any day and probably another manufacturer because of the 100W power it offers.

When I first got a MG100 the amp didn't work at all, Rockshops immediately replaced it since I'd already waited 2 months for a shipment to arrive. The second amp lasted about 2 weeks and then the distortion channel changed to a fuzz, the third amp has lasted a full 6 months with no worries at all.

Standard MG100DFX combo Best feature: OD2, since for the heavy music I play the OD1 channel lacks the gain. Although more gain on it would help since I max out the distortion channel, in its price range the AVT50 may be the better purchase if you have access to a PA. Clean channel, stays clean, almost impossible to distort DFX not a major selling point, I got it for its 100Watts.