MG100DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100DFX

Purchased from: marcus music, belfast

Let's be honest here - the distortion/overdrive on this amp isn't up to much. I use a boss ds1 run through the line instead (instead of using the effects loop :-/ ) which I think sounds much better, but that's just personal opinion. I would use the falnge and matbe the chorus digital effects, the problem is that you only get a quarter-turn of the knob to select the speed, so it's hard to get exactly right. The reverb sounds pretty good, when I use it I have it set at about 4.

I use this amp and my ds1 for punk, rock and blues and it covers them all pretty well (bearing in mind that a play a richwood strat with horrible pickups). The cd input is nice because at parties you can use the amp like a 100-watt hi-fi, and the fx level control means you can have amsaturated effects sound or just a subtle hint. I would reccomend this amp to a beginner to intermediate player who wants to be heard over their drummer once and for all :)

I've had this amp for about eight months and it's given me any trouble, but I've noticed that the fan sounds noisy and erratic, like there's something wrong. I would possibly gig with it without a backup, I've never gigged so I don't fully understand what it requires.

I think this amp was made quite recently, 2002 to present as it was bought new. It has 100 watts output (solid state), 12" celestion speaker which does the job rightly. It comes with a footswitch (chanel select and digital effects on/off), digital effects (flange and chorus which are ok, delay which is hard to adjust the timing on and chouris/dealy which I would never use) and reverb. The 2 channels are clean (with clean/crunh switch on the front of the amp) and overdrive (od1 light distortion, od2, heavy) it has a cd input, headphone jack, line out and a switch called fdd which I would keep oin all the time as it makes the amp sound more valvey.