MG100DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100DFX

Purchased from: Hooters

I have three guitars, an Epiphone SG, a Fender strat and a indie tree of life electro acoustic. All of them sound absaloutly gorgeous through this baby. I mainly play heavy metal, but I also play stuff like guns 'n' roses and Clapton, and boy does this little number help you on your way. It will scream for you, growl at you, moan at you and if you ask it nicely it might tickle your balls for you. You can get many many sounds from the amp, the clean setting can give you anything from a harsh spikey sound to a very calm smooth sound. And the overdrive option you can do pretty much anything with. The acoustic guitar sounds very nice too, but I have had some embarrasing problems with feedback. Considering the amp is mainly for electric guitars I think I can let that go.

If anything happened to this amp I would certainly buy it again. It has everything you could possibly need unless your selling out arenas, and I'm guessing considering you are on this website, you are not. It has plenty of power, and if you ever are daring enough to turn it up to 10, you better hold on to something solid.

I've had this amp for over a year now and had no problems with it at all. I also own an ashdown solid state amp but by far prefer the diversity and power of this one. I would (and have) gigged without a back up for this amp, it has been kicked, left in the rain, and even fallen off a 2m high stage and it still works fine.

It goes without saying that Marshall make some of the best amps arround, solid state, combo or otherwise. This amp is incredably versatile, you can play anything trough this amp and get a decent sound. The amp comes with built in effects, which are very cool, a 12" celestion speaker, clean or overdrive options, and a realy dinky little button which thickens the sound and replicates the same sound as a tube amp. Which is great when you're playing very loud. As for power, this amp will blow you away, 100 watts of pure energy. With this amp I've played in a huge school sports hall to a large theatre and never needed to turn the amp above half way. And even when I was a bit naughty and did dare to turn it up to 10 it was still clear as day. It also comes with a two way footswitch. One switch to change channels. one switch two turn effects on and off. However you cannot turn off the reverb levels with the footswitch. It's a good job the reverb on the amp is lovely to listen to.