MG100DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100DFX

Purchased from: Trad Music

I use the amp with an Ibanez RG370dfx. I play mainly heavy / power metal in the style of Iron Maiden or Iced Earth. I use a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal on the clean channel to get the sound I want as I find the OD-2 channel a little scratchy for my liking. OD-1 can be used as an excellent solo boost. The amp is amazing for lead sounds in the style or Iron Maiden or Yngwie Malmsteen. It is also LOUD. There is quite a bit of variety you can get from this amp - the contour control being especially useful. Excellent Mid sounds all over the amp.

If it were lost, I would probably get another. However I want to try the MG100HDFX with the 1960 cabinets for a 'bigger' sound - so I might get that first. It's 65lbs - so it's reasonably portable, which is one of the biggest pluses for me. I wish it had more speakers - that's about it.

I have gigged with this amp many times and it never lets me down. It is dependable and reliable and can take a beating.

The amp has 1 internal 12" celestion speaker and a 100 watt solid state head. It is exactly the same as the MG100HDFX except it doesn't have 2 extension cabinet ports and it has a speaker instead. There are clean, crunch, OD1 and OD2 channels. The emulated line out function is excellent. Allows recording or playing through a PA with the sound of a high quality mic.