MG100DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100DFX

I have an Epiphone SG with two humbucking pickups, haven't fooled around with it or anything it's just the way it was from the store. No unwanted noise comes through, except for the ocasional feedback. The amp can make many souunds, from screaming leads to bassy, distortion-heavy riffs to pure, clean sounds. The clean channel does get distorted at high volumes because the volume knob also controls drive, but if you turn up only the master it's fine. Like I said earlier, the distortion covers a wide variety and can get very brutal.

I think this amp can be used for pretty much all styles of electric guitar. Overall, I think it's awsome. I can count on it to sound how I want and do what I tell it. The only thing I wished I had asked before buying it is can I have the real footswitch? I would definitely buy it again if it was lost, and if it was stolen I would track it down and take it back from whoever stole it, after beating them down. I love the distortion channel and the contour knob. I spent along time looking at other amps, mostly Fender and Behringer. When I tried this one out, I knew it was for me. The overall sound quality was great, and they're was a good variety of tones I could get out of it. The only thing I wish it had is a better delay effect.

I have never gigged with this amp, in fact just getting a band started, but I would probably gig w/o a backup. The only problem this amp has had is the footswitch started out controling FX but now, I have no idea how, switches the channels. This could be my fault but I think it's because the store gave me a one-way switch instead of the 2-way that comes with the amp. So far, the amp has been reliable and nothing bad has happened to it.

This is a great amp. In my opinion it has about the right amount of features, and all of them are easy to use and change. I play mostly hard rock and some stuff like AC/DC and Guns n' Roses, also some heavy metal. The overdrive channel has a wide range of sounds and can be made to sound like almost anything, from classic overdrive to punchy distortion to good metal sounds. The OD1/OD2 switch is very helpful, allowing you to change quickly from medium-heavy distortion to extreme fuzz. The clean channel can be changed from a no fuzz, pure clean sound to a bluesy overdriven one. It's a little too bassy, but I still like it. As for effects, this amp has delay, chorus, flange, and delay-chorus, a mix of the two. Marshall did a good job on these. My only complaint would be that the delay doesn't get very fast. It also comes with a headphone jack, footswitch, and CD line in jack, very useful. At 100 watts, it's definietly powerful enough for me. It can get very loud, but is still pretty clear. It's solid state by the way. EQ for both channels is very good, espec. the contour button, great for a wide variety of tones.