MG100DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100DFX

Purchased from: Music Stop

I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and it sounds beautiful through the amp. The Les Paul has humbuckers in it obviously and it sounds very nice with it. The blend of both can help you reach those squealing metal sounds, to GN'R type stuff, right down to acoustic things like Pink Floyd. Great versatility within this combo. On the OD2 channel when it is loud, there is a noticable amount of feedback. This can be fixed depending on where you are in the room, how close you are standing to the amp, whether or not you are facing the amp. It can be avoided. The clean channel is very nice on high volumes, I often crank the amp up to 6 or 7, which is very loud, on clean and just play some nice acoustic songs like More than a Feeling. The distortion is pretty raunchy, and it definitely suits my needs. If you are interested in Black/Death metal or anything more intense than that, I would suggest buying a pedal for it.

The amp definitely fits me perfectly, I have always liked Marshall amps and this one can bust out all of the styles I enjoy to play. I have been playing for nearly 4 years and it is one of the best solid state amps I have played in this price range. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy another one. I love the effects it comes with, saves a lot of money on pedals.

I would definitely use this amp at a gig without a backup, and have done so. I was in a band where we had 3 guitarists and all 3 of us had this exact same amp. Very reliable and very versitile for live play, without the use of extra settings and footpedals. The amp has never given me any problems to date, although when you start up the amp it hums for a minute, but soon stops.

I bought this amp in late 2004, and I have been very impressed so far. I play a lot of styles of music, classic rock, blues, metal, neo-classical, hard rock, you name it. This amp is definitely capable of each of these styles. It has 2 main channels, with 2 for each. There is a clean/crunch channel, and an overdrive/overdrive 2 channel. They are split like this and you select one of each, and you can switch between them on your handy footswitch. The footswitch also features an effects switch. The clean channel is very impressive, no feedback whatsoever, just crystal clear, even on my cheap strat knockoff. The crunch sound is great for real rock n' roll or bluesy stuff. The overdrive1 channel is pretty weak to be honest, it's like a halfway point between the crunch channel and the overdrive 2 channel. It has proved useful from time to time, but I tend to leave this channel on OD2. The OD2 is very nice. It gives you that ranchy distortion that works very well for tapping and lead play in general. The amp also has a headphone jack and a CD input. The effects channel comes with a delay, flange, chorus and mix of chorus/delay, very useful and very easily accessible with the tap of your foot.

Frosticle
    First i would like to send a shout out to my atlantic canadian home boy, Mike1109, and, i would also like to say that, this amp does have a problem with the distortion fizzing out, mines doing it right now actually, and i have to get it fixed. Now i no people are going to be like, mines not doing that, no, it might not, and might not ever do that, but im just saying, mine didn't either for the first little while.