MG100DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100DFX

Purchased from: Some Guy.

I use the MG100DFX with a Jackson JS30DKT and I don't think I could have found a better match for this guitar at this price point. I play a weird hybrid of metal, rock and experimental, lots of crunch and delay with a heavy dollop of feedback thrown in (much to the chagrin of my bandmates). This amp manages to pull off that warm Marshall crunch even though it's a solid state. Only the complete sound freaks may notice a difference. I used to swear by the Boss DS-1 for my distortion but it has been put away as the MG100DFX is more than enough when set to OD2 with the contour up about 3/4 of the way and the gain up full. I have only really played with settings a little but so far it does everything I ask of it without complaint. teh effects are kind of chinsy, but I managed to find a low chorus setting that works fine when I need it. I also use a Boss Digital Delay DD-3 and it has never sounded better no matter if the amp is set to Clean or OD. Regarding the clean channel, I have yet to find a reason for the Crunch setting, it makes the amp sound like a cheap knock-off. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something.

I bought it second hand, but it is in mint condition. The guy told me that he needed a more bluesy sounding amp, like a Fender, and just never used the Marshall. Not a scratch, not a dent and still under warrantee. What can be said? It's a Marshall. There is a reason their name is dropped when talking about amplifiers. They make damn awesome products. Sure, Mesa-Boogie may be good (I did look at these as well) but they just don't have "that sound". Marshall, on the other hand, managed to give players "that sound" in a sub $500 amp. I applaud them for this. If my MG100DFX gets ripped off, I will hunt down and put the beats to whoever took it. If I can't find them, I would buy another without question. Before buying this I did try out the Peavey and the Crate amps I was looking at. Very nice amps but the Mashall blew them both away. Even with my DS-1 plugged into the other amps, they didn't even come close, and I have owned a Peavey Bandit in the past and loved it. I don't think I will be going back.

It's not as heavy as others have said. Considering that it's going to be at one of two places (jam space or on stage) at all times, I wouldn't care if it wieghed a tonne. I haven't really had the chance to abuse it but I will say that it is the most solid felling amp I have ever owned. If it puts up with my crap then it will have been worth every penny, I'm pretty hard on equipment. I'll rate this low becuase it's too new to tell.

We all know the specs so I won't go over them here. I will say that looking for an amp kept leading me back to Marshall. I have loved the sound of the Marshall crunch ever since I heard Master of Puppets twenty years ago. I didn't really want to drop huge coin on a top of the line Marshall as I'm more of a hobbyist, so I was researching intro and mid-range modles. At first I was considring an ATV50X as when I bought my Jackson JS30DKT the guy in the store plugged me into an ATV model, the bastard. I also looked at Peaveys and Crates having owned a Peavey and used a Crate in the past and liking them both. I then stumbled accross an ad in a local used gear site for an MG100DFX for sale. I went to the guys house, tried it and bought it without question. It is a little strange that the footswitch doesn't have a third switch for reverb but whatever. I keep the reverb at a bare minimum anyway. I'm sure other players would have liked this.

srpv92
    Frosticle : First i would like to send a shout out to my atlantic canadian home boy, Mike1109, and, i would also like to say that, this amp does have a problem with the distortion fizzing out, mines doing it right now actually, and i have to get it fixed. Now i no people are going to be like, mines not doing that, no, it might not, and might not ever do that, but im just saying, mine didn't either for the first little while.
    True! i have this amp and it was doing this all the time!! :s the distortian is pretty crappy (well not very powerful) It's great if u play greenday and bands like that but for metal it sucks. I only use it as backup now, and have a line 6 spider III 212 combo! it's amazing for metal !