MG100DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100DFX

Purchased from: Bill Harden Music

I use an Ibanez RG 3 EX1 with EMG HZ pickups with this amp and the distortion that is produced gritty, full, and loaded of tone. It suits my style of music very well. I play mostly metal and I have no problem getting loads of distortion. The amp itself is noiseless. My cable and guitar create a mild buzz but when unplugged all you can hear is the fan. As I stated above you can go anywhere from clean to the ACDC crunch to Metallica distortion. Being a solid state my clean channel never distorts. The distortion can get pretty harsh, not over the top death metal, but I play very heavy licks and I have nothing to complain about.

Overall this is a great all around amp. It can cover any style of music, from country to hair metal to modern alt rock and metal. I've been using this guitar for about 10 months and have had no problems. it's not too heavy to haul around and jam with, and has plenty of volume (more than I ever use while jamming with my band) If it were stolen I would probably get a Marshall tube amp. Not because I dislike this one, just as an update. I was originally going to get a Vox Valvetronix 2x12 but there were none at the store so I got this one instead. I'm not displeased at all. The only drawback is that the effects are somewhat limited (you can only mix delay with chorus) and the reverb cannot be controlled with the footswitch. There's really nothing that stands out about this amp, but there's nothing to complain about either, if asked Ide recommend it to anyone for smalltime jamming, practice, or small gigs.

I bought this amp with no flaws or factory defects. I would gig without a backup anyday. This amp has never broken down or had any problems at all. It's very sturdy too, as I it gets a little beaten getting moved from my house to band practice and such, but it holds up fine.

100 watt solid state 1x12in combo. I'm not sure when this amp was made, but I bought it new the summer of 2006 This is an extremely versatile amp, you can change between Vintage overdrive to heavy distortion with the push of a button. I play metal/alt rock, occasional blues, and occasional classic rock and it handles all styles equally well. Most people complain that the distortion is garbage, but mine seems to distort very well. I run and Ibanez RG 3 EX1 with EMG HZ pickups into the amp and it gets a great metal distortion. It has 2 channels: clean, which can be lightly overdriven to a crunchy distortion or left clean, and the overdrive channel. The overdrive channel can be switched between light crunch (think ACDC) and heavy distortion. It has a contour control that takes adds bass or treble as well as all the standard tone knobs. It comes with a footswitch that changes between clean/lead channel and turns effects on/off. Reverb cannot be switched on or off by the footswitch, which doesnt't affect me much since I rarely use reverb, but it would be nice to be able to toggle it when needed. Effects include Chorus+Delay, Delay, Chorus, and flanger. You select each by turning a knob. The effect levels are controlled by a knob and you can controll the effects loop mix with a knob as well. It has a Switch that allows you to add 4 dB or take off 10 dB on the effects. It has a CD in jack and an emulated line out/ headphone jack. With 100 watts on a 12in speaker it has plenty of power to wake the neighbors. When I jam with this amp I usually have my channels on 10 volumn and my master on about 3-4. It would definitely have the power for a small to medium indoor gig.

chris_libby_88
    bollo91 wrote: is there supposed 2 be a hum on d amp iv had mine for 9 months now and after a gig in december a hum has started is dis normal or what?
    its probably ur guitar or cables...unplug the cable and guitar from the amp and then turn it on/ turn up the volumn to playign level. if it still hums with no cable then the amp is shot out, if it doesnt then ur cable or guitar is making the hum.
    chris_libby_88
    srpv92 wrote: Frosticle : First i would like to send a shout out to my atlantic canadian home boy, Mike1109, and, i would also like to say that, this amp does have a problem with the distortion fizzing out, mines doing it right now actually, and i have to get it fixed. Now i no people are going to be like, mines not doing that, no, it might not, and might not ever do that, but im just saying, mine didn't either for the first little while. True! i have this amp and it was doing this all the time!! :s the distortian is pretty crappy (well not very powerful) It's great if u play greenday and bands like that but for metal it sucks. I only use it as backup now, and have a line 6 spider III 212 combo! it's amazing for metal !
    omfg! u replaced ur mg witha spider! spiders are horrible man. the distortion, tone, everything about them sucks. and the artist presets are anoying as hell... and did i mention the spider sucks...
    bollo91
    k1ng_pooh
    omfg, you go chris_libby_88 spiders suck so bad its just so bad, like...omg...i cant even talk about it. The sounds sucks, but the spider has more effects than you will EVER EVER need, i so useless, go buy a marshall Mg0dfx this will but that heavy in metal
    bollo91
    yea tanx 4 d advice but its fine when im playing its just when its starting up it hums for about 2 minutes