MG100DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100DFX

Purchased from: Peter Cooks

Well, I play my Jackson RR3 though this and I play mainly metal. The clean sound is very nice, I can get awesome Metallica-esque cleans out of it. I personally find that the OD2 channel is a bit lacking in overall brutality, the distortion just sounds a bit too Vintage for me. It has very little of that modern hi-gain filth I love. I can, however, dial in a whole load of different sounds, from Pantera to Clapton. There's just an enormous scope for tweaking with this amp. The effects aren't great, there's very little noticeable difference between them and the flanger really disappointed me; there's no option to have separate delay and flanger, you just get delay with a slight taste of flange (ahem). The reverb is great for bluesy soloing when combined with a neck pickup but it gets too muddy the higher up you crank it.

This amp is better suited for old-school metal than it is for modern hi-gain material, but add in a good stompbox and away you go. I would recommend a noise gate if you're going to be using this with the gain cranked, there's a good deal of feedback. Well, for the price, you can't argue much about features and trimmings and it's great for beginners and pros alike. Definitely worth a look if you're looking for a cheap amp with enough power for gigging.

It's solid state, so built like a tank. The footswitch that came with it wasn't great, sometimes I have to stomp on it multiple times before it will change channel (this may be a one-off however). It's a simple, straightforward amp and I would trust it when gigging. However, I found that sometimes it would change channel of it's own accord, which would be a major embarrassment during a gig.

I won't explain the features as everyone else already has. For the price it's great value; it has enough power for most Live gigging and has a whole host of features, though some effects are pretty similar. There's a lot of knobs, so there's plenty of space for you to play with your sound.