MG100DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 5.5 Decent
Marshall: MG100DFX

Purchased from: Some internet site ive forgotten

I use this amp either with my Epiphone SG Custom or Explorer, and usually a Boss ME-50 Multi-Effects unit in front to improve the weak sounding distortions and effects. I play mostly modern rock/metal like Lostprophets, Jimmy Eat World and Muse. For a while this amp seemed to cover these half decently, however as time developed I realised just how weak the distortion modes are. Even "Classic crunch" mode offers neither a classic sound, nor a crunch. To sun up the sound in one word, I would say: disappointing.

Overall impressions are that this amp is not what I was expecting. The quality of different effects and settings really let down the Marshall name in my opinion, and I urge anyone Who (like me) thinks "oh, it's a Marshall, it'll be good" to reconsider.

The only problem I've had with this amp has been the footswitch breaking, which set me back 30, but other than that it's reliability & durability has been pretty good. I've also gigged this amp for a while now and it has taken anything I throw at it, and there has been a few things for that matter!

The MG100DFX is basically a low end Solid state Marshall for those who can't afford JCM's etc. However, the low price does mean lower quality. The 2 channels do mke things much easier when the footswitch is included, however it's often the case that you need to Switch between clean and classic crunch, or OD1 and OD2, which you can't do without pushing a Switch on the amp itself. The inbuilt effects are also pretty weak, and they also can only be tuned on and off, not changed between each other using the footswitch. The amp does pack plenty of power, I've played large outside venues without turning it past halfway, but using it at high volumes with distortion does create huge amounts of feedback, too much too bear for listeners.

musicfreak003
    dude donkeyfly u dumbass no buys a marshall for a clean tone, if they wanted a clean tone, theyd get a fender or a boutique amp
    JimmyPage_fan87
    They sell guitar stuff at Hooters? It's the ultimate restaurant/bar/guitarshop! (Now the question is, what's the secret word u have to say for them to take you in the back where all the amps are...hmm.
    DIMEISALEGEND
    i have this amp and must say id give it a 10 if it was not for da small problum of when i turn it on it makes a wierd sound for about 3-5 minutes! becouse of this i give it a 8 and a half!
    TomsDaBomb!
    Does anyone know if this amp is any good for Blink-182? They Rock Can Some 1 PLZzZz Let Me Know Thanx
    SG-Jack
    this amp sucks, this guy i used to be in a band with had one and my Marshall G50RCD ripped it to shreds. i mean, 1 speaker, 100watts? You need 2 speakers man! To finish this piece of dirt off the speaker in my Marshall G50RCD is the same size as the one in this amp!
    brush200400
    is it just me or is this amp unable to produce a high level of distortion, even with a distortion pedal?
    danielrobbyshor
    considering this amp is bad-mouthed daily on UG, these reviews are singing its praises? i have this amp and i have to say i stand by it, if you take your time with it you can get a more than decent sound out of it.
    brush200400
    i have it too, it sounds great clean and with light distortion/overdrive, but the distortion cannot get very heavy
    bejaysus
    I got it for like 250 its amazing sounds brilliant mind you i dont like the fact that you have to turn reverb on and off at the amp
    tordTERROR91
    the distortion on this sounds like a chainsaw even line 6s sound better than these and they are abysmal pay a bit extra and get a jcm 2000 dsl 401