MG100DFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100DFX

Purchased from: Marshall's Music

I am currently using it with an Ibanez GSZ 120 and an Aria Pro II SL and I've gotta say its sounds great with both. I play mostly punk and hardcore punk in my band and it sounds great. I play my guitars through a Boss MT2 Metalzone distortion pedal and a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor and its not noisy at all but thats thanks to my noise gate. Before I got a noise gate, when I turned my MT2 on it had lots of feedback but thats understandable at high volume(if playing Live i highly recommend a noise gate of some kind). I play it now days in an old recording studio and it sounds great in there. The amp can make a whole variety of sounds with the right tweaking (it even has a contour nob to set your overdrive/clean contour)so I'm sure no matter what style you play it will be great.the clean channel is not distorted at all at high volume and thats what really amazed me about this amp-but hey its not called a Marshall for nothing. You can get some really great distortion on OD2 but nothing very brutal, unfortunately you will have to get a distortion pedal if you dabble in denominations of metal.

I play punk, hardcore punk, grunge and a little metal and this amp suits me perfectly. I've been playing for 4 years and this amp is the best I've ever played. I also own a Starfire Mega 10 (my first amp)and this amp completely over powers the starfire in every department. I also own an Ibanez GSZ 120 and Aria Pro II SL (in terms of guitars)and a Boss MT2 metalzone and Boss NS2 noise suppressor and just ordered a Vox V847A wah pedal(in terms of effects) and they always sound great on this amp.The only thing i wish was that the footswitch controlled reverb as well.I would buy it again if it was lost or stolen as it is the most affordable and best sounding gigging amp at its price range.I love everything about it, its features, its sound and its price!my favourite feature is definately the onboard effects which add something different to your sound.I compared to a Fender 45 watt amp and a Vox and chose this because of Marshall's reputaion and its features.

I have had it for about a year now and it has never let me down. The main reason I bought it was for gigging so yes I would rely on it without a backup. I would say because of its power it is a gigging amp however its sound and features make it invaluable even just practicing in your room.

This specific DFX model in the MG series has a whole range of features that can be useful no matter what style or level of playing you are at. I personally play a whole lot of punk, a bit of grunge and a little metal with it and it suits those styles fine. Its extremely versatile and im sure it can handle any style well. It has 2 channels-a clean and an overdrive and in those channels you can choose between clean and overdrive, and OD1 and OD2 (if you are playing without a distortion pedal I suggest OD2 as it gives some really nice crunchy distortion that you can mold to your style).It comes with a 2 way footswitch that you can Switch between clean and overdrive channels and also to turn the built in effects on and off.It also has an effects loop and headphone jack(both which i never use, I send my chain straight to the input jack).This amp's onboard effects are really great!although not as tweakable as an individual stompbox they give you a huge variety to choose from(flanger,chorus and delay,chorus etc).It also has a frequency dampening Switch(FDD)which when depressed gives a really great creamy sound that makes it sound like a tube amp. The only feature I wish it had was incorporating the on/off Switch for the reverb on the footswitch.unfortunately reverb has to be switched on and off on the amp and because of the I never use it, although the effect on its own sounds great.I use this amp at band practice and it has more than enough power,we play in a soundproof old studio and i never have the volume much over 12 o clock-thats how powerful it is.

hadookin
    they are okay, they get slated way too much for what they are, however, ive had mine for a while in the stack form, and sometimes, the volume just goes and takes some of the tone with it on the overdrive channel! but if i smack the side of it, it comes back... i dont mind doing it haha but playing live? the amp can be a bit of a worry, im not quite sure why this happens but its very annoying!
    hadookin
    last_biscuit wrote: brenzo wrote: I dont know you so many people dont like this amp. the distortion is briliant, the clean channal is awsome and the effects are great. This amp is awsome for any type of music from heavy metal to some softer rock. Because you and the two people commenting above you are beginners and haven't developed an ear for 'tone'. In other words, your n00bs. Deal with it. The amp sucks, and if you think otherwise you need a music teacher fast.
    ...lets be honest mate, you're just going with the crowd in saying that? the tone can be nice with a bit of effort, ive played and dabbled around with amps for long enough to hear nice tone, it may not be incredible, but its pretty quality for its price aswell