MG100DFX review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Marshall: MG100DFX

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Prom Music

I mainly use a Jackson DKMG and play rock and metal and its definetley suited for those styles. The clean channel is alright (not bad and nothing special at the same time), you are not going to get those shimmering sounds you would from a Fender but you would not have bought this amp for that purpose any way. I have read other comments regarding the utility of the clean crunch button, but I must say I find it pretty useless (too harsh for cleans and not dirty enough for distortion). The OD 1 channel is good for AC/DC and classic rock and OD 2 is more for metal. I will now let you in on a secret... If you are not satisfied with the distortion for balls out metal, try running a BMG sonic maximizer through the effects loop (at about half). You will be amazed and likely sell your distortion pedals! I recently bought an all tube Peavey 6505 (famous metal amp) and the Marshall is not that far behind with the maximizer.

Again for the price (they are even less expensive now) there is nothing wrong with this amp for an amateur rock or metal player. Do not let those tube snobs tell you its junk sounding because as I mentioned, I recently convinced myself I needed a tube amp and bought a Peavey 6505 and did a side by side comparison, expecting it to blow the Marshall away and I really don't think it did. Maybe playing with a band a loud volume, a tube amp will cut through better but for bedroom practice (which is mostly all I do anyway) this amp is a beast... And I could have saved my money until I could afford a boutique amp lol!

So far my comments have been mostly positive but I must knock a few points off here. The input for the guitar cable broke and had to be replaced and the first time I turned the amp up (several years after I bought it) it shorted out after a few minutes. I later found out it was because the cooling fan wasn't working and likely never did!

I would assume this amp was made in the early 00's since I purchased it around 2005. It's plenty versatile enough for a rock or metal player, as most of you likely know Marshall is not a name synonymous with country and western! It's a solid state amp but with a twist, it includes FDD technology, which basically is a little button that is supposed to emulate a tube sound (makes no sense not to have it pushed in at all times). It has built in digital effects which are alright, the delay being the best of the bunch (also has flange and chorus). As others have mentioned, the footswitch could have a few more options on it (such as allowing you to switch between OD1 and OD2 etc... But hey this amp is dirt cheap after all.

rv_phoenix
    I wander who would be so idiot to go gigging on this crap. Any 30W all-tube blows it away in terms of sheer power, not to mention the sound. Whoever says he doesn't hear the harshness of its hard clipping should go to a doctor to check his hearing. And the built-in effects... what a bad joke! Even the despicable Line 6 Pod sounds more realistic than this.
    MaggaraMarine
    havee wrote: KevBlue18 wrote: Stay away from solid state all together. Well.. if you want to use a very old technology and you want risk to get an electric shock.. then yes, buy a tube amp.. i don't know, what's that "tube amps are good, solid states are sh*t" stuff.. solid state amps are more reliable and less dangerous.. but if you want tubes in your amp.. buy a marshall mf350.. or any other hybrid amp, with tube preamp and solid state power amp..
    Why do you think that you get shocked easier if you have a tube amp? Of course if something doesn't work you may get an electric shock but same goes with SS. And I think people are after the warm tube overdrive sound that solid states can't do as well. Because the majority of artists use tube amps you have just get used to the old tube sound. If there had always been only solid states then people would call that "The Guitar Sound". But we have got used to the tube tone and that's why people want to buy tube amps. They have "The Guitar Sound"!