MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Music Makers

I'm currently using a Squier Telecaster with this amp, but I feel that with this guitar I am not doing it any justice, but I can still get some decent sounds out of it that suit my metal, punk and classic rock needs. The amp is very versatile, and if you know how to use it, it could be anyone's best friend. The clean channel is gorgeous, it's the best clean tone I've heard on an amp in my entire life, I love it. The distortion isn't the best I've heard, but I have only heard it on my guitar, which is not very nice. However, I'm not saying the distortion is bad, it's brilliant, but I haven't found a tone that matches to the clean channels standard, and yes, you can shake your nextdoor neighbour's house with it.

This amp is real good, especially for someone who needs volume and versatility (looks too, of course, but that doesn't really bother me). I have been playing for around 3 years now, but have owned very few (but played many) amps. Before this amp, I was playing through a 30w Nobels bass amp through a Danelectro Grilled Cheese Distortion pedal, and it sucked. So my bassist has inherited my pathetic bass amp and this one casts a large, dark shadow over it. If it were stolen/lost (although it's pretty hard to lose something this big), I would probably break down and cry, and complain for the next few months as I saved up for a new amp, which wouldn't be this one. I would probably buy a similar cabinet, but save up for a JCM series head instead, something more professional, or maybe just get a combo, depending on the way things with the band are going. The only bad thing about this amp is sometimes I feel I might have gone a little OTT, as it certainly isn't practical to lug the cabinet around, and it takes up a fair amount of space. Despite this though, I do not regret this purchase and all-round is a brilliant amp, but advise anyone who is considering buying it to seriously think if they truly require an amp of this size.

I've had it for a few months now, and (possibly due to my paranoia of damaging it) it doesn't have a scratch on it. It also has a 3 year warranty on it, and the cabinet, too. Nothing has been damaged to it, I can see this amp lasting me for a long time.

This head was made in 2003, and I have been using it with the recommended MG412 cabinet. I play in a metal band, and with plenty of fiddling round I found a nice tone that suited metal, but to satisfy my hunger for punk (Bad Religion, Pennywise) some adjusting made that sound pretty good too, even with my sub-standard guitar. It has 2 channels, clean and overdrive. On clean you can choose between clean and (bluesy) crunch, which I haven't found much use for, and on overdrive there are two different sub-channels also, OD1 and OD2. I found OD1 was a bit lame for my tastes and I normally have OD2 on the overdrive channel, and clean on the clean channel. There is a footswitch to change between the two channels. This head has jacks in the back for effects loops, and a headphone jack (for when I've been practising at home). For the effects built into the amp, it has another pedal on the footswitch to turn the effects on and off, but you can only have one effect on at a time without turning the knob. It has all the features that I could really ask for, apart from a footswitch that turns the reverb on and off would have been nice. I use this amp to practice at home (with headphones in), for band practices (max it ever goes up to is halfway), but have not had a gig since buying it, but 120 RMS pretty much assures me that it will be big enough for anywhere.