MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Mansons Guitars

The guitar I use is an Epiphone Les Paul, this guitar is great for pretty much any style of music, but quite weak to use in the bluesey areas, like Stevie Ray and Hendrix, in which case I use my Yamaha Pacifica, which sounds great on the clean, neck pickup. This amp is a bit too loud to just practise in your bedroom, so I suggest buying some headphones, if you try to play it quietly it just doesn't sound the same. I find the clean sound doesnt distort atall, unless you want it to, in which case you hit the clean crunch button included on the clean channel, again, I would prefer this to also be on the footswitch, all round I would say the only thing that let me down about this amp is the fact there are only two buttons on the footswitch.

Like I said, I play Heavy and thrash metal, the heavy overdrive on the amp is great, it has an amazing Punch to the sound and really bassey sounding, which is what I like. The sound I could compare it to is songs by Iced Earth, one of my favourite bands, in songs like "Stand Alone" you can hear what kind of sound this amp can give you. I have been playing 4 years and this is my 4th amp, all of them marshalls, but none quite as big as this one, nor as loud! Theres no comparison when you turn the volume up and you hear those speakers working so well. This amp has served me well over the past 2 months and I expect it will be my amp for a few years to come, until I outgrow it.

I would use this amp without a backup because it's hard as anything, I got covers free with mine to protect and bumps to it. As in tube amps, neglect or accidents can lead to having to have it repaired costing money, and not too good if you have a gig coming up. I find with the solid states its alot more reliable.

This is a fairly new amp from Marshall, I play mostly thrash metal but also some Led Zeppelin and blues. This amp has one channel for clean, and a channel for the overdrive, with which you get a choice between OD1 or OD2, OD1 is fairly weak and even with full gain is not worth using, it sounds like you've turned the volume knob right down leaving a little bit of sound to come through, but pushing the button into OD2 you get the full blown distortion that you would expect from the 4x12" speakers in the cab. It has an effects loop, CD in, headphone jack, footswitch comes with the amp, the footswich has only two buttons to press, one for the channel select, and one for the FX, a reverb selector would be good on footswitch, as the reverb sound on this amp is amazing, but obviously you don't want it there all the time, so I tend to play with very little of it. The effects on this amp are chorus/delay, not an effect I use alot, flanger, chorus and delay, all the effects are great but only when playing the right stuff, you can get an amazing sound from the chorus, you can also use the effects knob to adjust how much presence the effects has on your sound. This amp also has an FDD button, which tries to simulate the sound of a valve amp, it gives an amazing punch to the distortion and makes the clean sound alot brighter.