MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Ebay

OK, at the present I gots two guitars, my Jackson JS30DK Dinky; with Jackson CVR2 humbuckers, and my ESP LTS AX-50; soon with EMG 81's. I play ina metal type band, thrash/death metal style I'd say, so I mainly play with full distortion, and it sounds good for me, not absoloutely amazing, but good enough for some crushing riffs. However, if I want to play something a little less distorted, I can turn the second overdrive mode off for a pretty jazzy kind of distortion (not that, that gets used much). The clean channel sounds nice in conjunction with the flange effect, can write some nice tunes with those settings. I recently cracked this up to a quater of the max volume, and wow I was impressed, at firsrt I was expecting a horrible thumping kind of sound, but no, there was very little sound interference, this comes from the cabinet build quality though. I doubt even in a gig situation I'd need to pump this head higher than 25-50% of it's max.

I really like it, I can see myself keeping it for a long time to come, and if my band gets anywhere, I'll be gigging with for a long time, even when I can afford a JCM900. If it was stolen however, I'd probably fork out for the JCM.

I twatted this off the wall so many times when I was taking it up to my room, and it's still working fine, so I'd say it's pretty god damn durable. I'd trust it at a gig too, since its solidstate I wouldn't have to worry about valves burning out, only powerfailure or liquid spillage.

I've only been playing guitar for just over a year and a half I think, anyways I was upgrading from my pathetic Fender FrontMan 15 or whatever you call it, and I saw this on Ebay, I thought 100watts would suffice for a while, whilst my band gets off it's ass. It's got 2 channels each with it's own distortion, plus the overdrive channel has a second mode of distortion, mainly for metal playing I guess. It has 4 built in effects too, chorus, delay, flange, and chorus/delay. This is a solidstate amp.

Shredlet
    Ive heard that the MG's are meant to be really crap is this a lie or does it have some truth to it?
    rockdude_2008
    i was gonna buy this but everyone told me it sucked, wow differnces in opinions on ultimate-guitar.com
    pjrocks54
    I will agree with the above reviews to the point that you can get killer tones out of the MG100HDFX, but, as far as being reliable it's a POS!!! Cuts out at practice as well as at gigs. I got rid of it and replaced it with a Marshall AVT50H. It has as much balls as the MG100 and sounds much warmer as it has a 12AX7 preamp tube in the preamp section. I just got it and feel the best is yet to come. Rock on my children!
    sabbath1313
    I bought this amp about six months ago mainly because I am a student and don't have a lot of money to spare, and this is (in my opinion) the best amp in it's price range. Despite it's low cost it is surprisingly good sounding and mixed with different FX pedals it sounds great. Unlike pjrocks54 I have bashed this amp around, and gigged with it and have never had the slightest problem. It makes all my friends jealous, and to get such a great amp at such a low price is a bargain.