MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Pawnshop

This amp suits my style a lot more than I thought it was going to. It's not as noisy as I thought it was going to be as the volume dial moved up. This amp can make some amazing sounds with very very clean pinch harmonics to an amazing of variety of divebombs. It is very smooth mellow sound when you need it to be and at other times it can be distorted and all up in your face.

My overrall impression of this amp at first was sort of suprise. I was afraid to turn it up all the way thinking it was gonna freak out and make me deaf with feedback but it didn't. I have been playing for like 2 monthes and I own a Ibanez AEG10E with a Behringer hell-babe, and Boss Mega Distortion, and Boss Super Overdrive, I also use my friends Jackson Randy Rhoads with it. No matter what I have plugged into and what it's set to it keeps up with me. From stuff like Lamb Of God to Black Sabbath.

I would depend on this amp. If I played a show I would carry this in with 100% confidence in it. It has been through some tough times. And it still plays fine and sounds just as good as the day it was bought. If this amp ever breaks down not due to neglect I will be really surprised even if it's in like 5 years.

The Marshall MG100HDFX head is a lot more versatile than I thought it was going to be, when I first purchased it. It is a 2 channel head that you can Switch between with a footswitch pedal. It has a headphone jack, and an input for a CD. It has a few effects that saved me the trouble of getting pedals. Like reverb, flange, and chorus. I play grunge/metal/hardcore/acoustic all kind of put together on this amp. And it is more than capable of doing this. It has more than enough power than what I know what to do with. Because if we end up playing shows I know people with full stacks that I can use.

iceberg
    Not everyone can spend $1000 on a head and then $800 on a cab. If your a serious gigger, then you should have a PA system which projects all the sound. Marshall has earned it's respect in the rock world. I got the mg100dfx with the mg412a cab and this thing is all I need. This amp WILL hurt your ears, be careful!! Anyone who put's this amp down is probably using something rediculous like a avt pitbull or a mesa boogie. That could be 6 month's of income for some people. If your using a combo amp or a pathetic box with a speaker in it, then this is your best bet for a reasonable upgrade. Nevermind the anti-Marshall meatheads!! Nothing looks better than a Marshall stack on stage!!
    m.o.d.---
    Brainwash wrote: zakk wylde sometimes uses it No, he doesnt. He uses JCMs. He got paid by marshall to appear in ads for MGs. Please look things up before trying to act like you know about them. For all of you wanting to buy this amp, please, save up a little more and go for an all tube amp. If you stick with guitar, you will thank yourself in the long run. The cleans are decent on these, but the distortion is really muddy. Look into a B-52 AT series amp for a reasonably priced tube amp. It may be a bit of a step up price wise, but you will love it. Tubes are also MUCH louder, my 2x12" tube is at least 2 times louder than my friends MG half stack, and his sounds terrible when cranked.
    No he uses it in the studio somtimes ive seenpitures of him in a recording video with it.
    E V H 5150
    powerlord
    I just bought one of these today after trying a Crate,a kustom,and a peavey in the same price range and all I can say is way to go Marshall!!!I thought for a long time that Marshall was just a name,not true,they deliver and roll the competition,this stack rocks!
    Brainwash
    zakk wylde sometimes uses it
    m.o.d.---
    E V H 5150 wrote: Is an MG100HDFX better than an MG250DFX? And is either better than a Peavey ValveKing? Or should I go to EBay and buy a 5150 combo?
    MG100HDFX is the best amp in your price range.
    phillyguitar
    If this amp is cutting out on you, you need to get it fixed! I've had this thing for 3 years and it has never done me wrong. It's been in vans, dragged around everywhere, it's got nicks to prove it. Never once have I had to even think of repairing it. Marshall makes some of the best amps so check this thing out, you can't really get much better at this price