MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Dunham's Music

The sound is very good. The clean channel is excellent and doesnt't break up or sound muddy when it is turned at high volumes. My main guitar is a Fender Standard Telecaster and they sound good together there is feedback but it's just the stock pickups on the Telecaster. The good sound probably somewhat has to do with me using the Peavy Valveking cab instead of the Marshall. The head sounds very good with the cab. The distortion on this amp is pretty good. A lot of people say it isn't enough, but I have a feeling these are the kinds of people that like to hide behind a huge wall of distortion and noise. The distortion is warm, and sounds very good. I especially like the reverb on this amp. The other effects are pretty good too. I don't use a lot of effects, but it's good to have them.

Overall this is a very good amp for Blues Rock, so it's perfect for me. You can't really get that much of a metal distortion from this thing, but there are pedals for that. If this were stolen or lost, I would have to buy another one but it would cost almost twice as much as I paid for this, because I got both the head and the cab, brand new, for only 300 at a closeout sale at Dunham's Music. My favorite feature on this amp is the clean channel at high volumes. It sounds so good and it doesnt't break up or anything. But cranking the distortion up, setting the reverb up a little bit, and burning the house down with a wah-soaked solo is another favorite.

I have used this in a couple gigs and it hasn't failed me yet. It's very reliable. As far as durability, I'm careful with my equipment so it hasn't taken any hard hits, but I'm guessing that the fan will be screwed if the head falls off the cab or something. Amp has never broken down, but I would like to know what causes that awful buzzing noise from the fan.

I think this is a 2006 head. I purchased it with the 400w Peavy Valveking cab. I play mostly blues rock and hard rock and I've found that this amp is pretty versatile and is very good for what I play. I never use the OD1 channel, it just seems pointless. the OD2 channel however is very good. I've played a couple gigs with this amp and it has more than enough power. The only thing that pisses me off about this amp is that the fan sometimes makes a loud grinding noise for about 10 seconds when I first turn it on. It doesn't effect the sound, but it is annoying.

ponnightingale
    im a dud! do you still have to buy a seperate amp for this or no? meh ive only got a marshall 10watt amp see?
    TheDev01dOne
    I bought this amp around 4 months ago and I agree with most people here. It is definately the best amp init's price range, by FAR. Of course it's not as good as a JCM or Mesa Boogie. But not everyone can afford to spend 6 months pay on a guitar amp. It is loud and has a GREAT clean tone. I prefer a pedal for distortion though. If this is your price range I would definately recommend buying this amp.
    shredder_666
    rockdude_2008 : i was gonna buy this but everyone told me it sucked, wow differnces in opinions on ultimate-guitar.com whoever told you that is a moron, this amp is one of the best issued by marshall. dont let the cheap price fool you man...go out and get it. Ive had this amp for six months and it has never let me down unlike the tube amps ive used forever.
    Terrify_Dmac
    This amp is alot of bang for the buck. It sounds great with my yamaha pacifica and bcrich zombie.
    danet12345
    ive heard that this amp is a bit on the pants side but some these reveiws have changed my mind. one of my mates has just this week bought a marshall mode4 350 and cab but theeres no way im gonna get them in a million years other mate got a limeted edition version in blue but i dont care im just gonna try it out just in case it is a biut pants