MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

I have a Jay Turser Telecaster copy. It has elixir 10s in it, that were from whoever I bought it from. I use this amp for practice and to jam with my friends. I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't pack some noise. It's noisy as hell, but with a great tone. The distortion is not unmanageable like most amplifiers, the clean channel sound good with distortion, as does the overdriven channel. I prefer to play with a reverb too. It makes it sound like I'm in an auditorium.

I don't own any other gear, and don't really think I need it. But if it were stolen, I would buy this same one. In fact, my friends were so impressed by it's power and sound, a dude I didn't know that well kinda tried to take it I guess, but it is heavy and he didn't make it far through my living room. I compared it with a Randall half stack, and a Fender half stack, but I decided on this one. I kind of wish it had more effects, but I can Live without, because it is great. Dog Matter, is the name of our band!

I can depend on it, I would probably bet my life on it, I don't really "gig" per say, but I would definitely use it on stage, in front of an audience. It is not a tube amp so I don't worry about that. But I would definitely depend on it, I will hopefully use it on stage soon!

I think that the amp was made in 2006 or 2007. The amp has really good features, clean channel: gain, bass, middle, treble, and (clean/crunch). There is a overdriven channel: gain, (OD1/OD2) bass, middle, treble, contour volume. Also it has digital fx, preset/adjust (chorus/delay, delay, chorus, flang, reverb, effects loop mix. Also master volume, and FDD (frequency dependent dampening). There is also the foot Switch, with a channel Switch, and FDX. It is a solid state amp. On the front there are also CD/MP3 in, and headphones out.

zAg1619
    I've had this amp for about 2 years now. It was the best amp decision I could make for the price range i was in. Now, if money flew outta my ass, obviously i would have bought a mesa/boogie, but that's beside the point. I play metal, and classic rock. For me, the OD tone isn't hard enough for metal so I use a pedal instead, but that's just me. I frankly think the OD tone is perfect for many classic rock songs. Also, as a side note, do not turn it up to 10 unless neccesary.. I got this amp on top of two cabs and hell, I usually stay parked at 5, and the cops drop by every day. I hate my neighbors..
    DescendanceRock
    i Bought this amp, about say,..... 7 momths ago? just before novenber or something, because i wanted a new one for a small gig my band was heading for, and, i definitely need to rig it up through a PA, the feedback is just terrible, when you try to crank it up loud enough over a big-ass double bass, 6 tommmed pearl export drum kit, so id advise people who have a big-ass PA system to buy this, but it wont stand on its own, I personally have no idea how much difference the amplifier makes when you add another CAB, which is possible, as its a HDFX and not a DFX, this makes it alot better than the DFX, but people its a very nice amp, and you can get awesoem clean sounds and heavy metal sounds, so dont listen to them on that, any sound is possible through this beasty, its just, if your live, youll need a monitor or two and youll need to channel it through a mixer/PA. Haydn, www.Myspace.com/descendance1 (check my bands profile out oh yeah theres a picture of me woth it on my site if youd liek to look !! thanks
    DaBlackE
    E V H 5150 wrote: Is an MG100HDFX better than an MG250DFX? And is either better than a Peavey ValveKing? Or should I go to EBay and buy a 5150 combo?
    Buy the 5150 combo!!
    Doodleface
    shaunems wrote: i have been playing for 6 years and im in a band is this the right amp for me?
    NO! just because it says Marshall, doesn't mean that it's good. this is easily the most hated amp on the forums and theirs good reason. Their is better stuff for that money. I have a Carvin SX100 it has the exact same features as the combo MG. and it sounds at least 10x times better, and it only costs 350 bucks! A Roland Cube, or a Vox Valvetronix are better than this as well. and tube amps aren't all 1000-3000 dollars, check out the peavey valveking, or the ashdown fallen angel.
    grungefan89
    I have a review coming up on this amp. Overall, it's decent. But as many other people said, there are better stacks out there (just not for 320 bucks used).