MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

I am using an modified Epiphone G-400 Korina, with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 Humbucker in the Treble pickup slot. Nothing else, just guitar & amp. The amp suits my music style very much, because of its famous crunch and classic gain, I fell in love with the amp after playing a few riffs on it. The amp is not that noisy, if you really stick your ear at the cabinet, you'll hear a little bit of hum, but it wouldn't bug you at all. The amp can make a lot of tones, you can go from crunchy soft rock to some deep long soft rock, to some raw-ass crunch and such. The distortion is good for me, I'm not a guy that cranks the gain to full, so it wouldn't matter for how brutal the distortion would be, the gain sounds great at low distortion and mid. The amp sounds very solid, and full. Balanced in smoothness and crunch.

I really like this half-stack. And for its price, it's hard to not fall in love with it. The amp is a incredible match for my style of playing, it is flexible enough to reach the tones of my hard rock licking riffs, and then my soft classic rock stuff. If I lost this amp, or it broken down, and I did not have the budget to get an expensive Marshall, I would get this amp again. It's a very good half stack for its quality to price ratio. I don't like how it only has a clean and overdrive channel, and nothing else in the clean and overdrive channel. I also wish they had a standby Switch, it's just good when you plan to take a break after jamming for a while. Overall, this is a very good amp from Marshall, it's almost as good as the 2000$ half-stacks.

I think it's pretty reliable, I played it for 5 hours straight and nothing really happened or changed. I would definetly use it in a gig without a backup, because the amp works and sounds great! The amp has never broken down, why would it? I just bought it recently.

I believe it was made in 2006-2007, one of the newer half stacks from Marshall. The amp is very flexible, you can go from classic soft gain to some hot, raw crunch tone. The distortion itself is not so good for metal, more of a hard rock/classic rock amp. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. Then you have the whole effects section, which comes with a lot of fun effects and a seperate reverb knob. The amp is pretty good, it gets room-loud at about 2-3 volume, it's a fairly simple amp, a volume knob for each Drive. It is a solid-state half-stack, but sounds incredibly tube-like. What this amp needs is two seperate portions in the overdrive channel, so you can have a preset for classic rock, and then with a footswitch or whatever, you can change to crunch. What it needs is a standby Switch, so every time you don't need to wait for the fan to start up, which takes like 5 minutes to quiet down.

maca-venagas
    how much did marshall pay you to say all that??? dude, how can u say that and expect us to take u srsly. leave UG and never come back. i would rather a tottally marshall free world rather than a world with marshall mgs
    the_dogs_master
    Everyone has the right to their own opinions, and I'm sure you have valid reasons for your own preferences, but critisisms need to be constructive or they become worthless. I'm sure nobody would choose an MG as their first choice, but like I said, anyone looking for a new 100 watt head and 4x12 cab on a budget ain't gonna get much better. There's no point advising kids to go out and spend 1000 plus on a rig, 'cos it's not gonna happen. For instance, I could comment on any guitar, stating my preferences for tone woods; how a Brazilian Rosewood five piece set neck with Honduras Rosewood fingerboard adds a warmth to the tone that just needs to be heard to be appreciated, but how's that going to benefit someone checking reviews on a Squire Strat, who wants to know if any bits are gonna fall off. So, come on, let's be constructive here, what is a viable alternative half stack?
    strungoutuk
    I think that some of the comments on this head are a little harsh. This amp does what is expected of it within its price range. I have had one for about 5 years now and it has never let me down. I hasnt been wrapped in cotton wool either, it has been trown around in the car and in vans, used at gigs, had beer spilt on it and although it looks tatty as hell now, it works just fine. Im not sure if it makes any difference but mine is one of the first series before they changed a few bits but im not sure what they changed. As for the effects, if you are a fan of the "keep it simple"(i am) setup then its fine but i would advise that weeker pickups will sound a little shrill as in my strat i t almost squeeled but with my Jackson it sonds nice and heavy. At the end of the day if you are buying brand new and are looking for something to help you get started gigging then this is great.. if you have been using somthing thats worth a few hundred quid more amd are used to that sound then it may not be for you. I would just say try it out in the shop and make sure you try it thru the whole volume range. the reliability should not be a problem.