MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I am using a modified Epiphone G-400 Korina with it, and it just sounds beautiful. Nice and smooth, warm clean sound, warm classic gain sound, face-licking raw crunch, just beautiful! The amp is quite hummy on high gain, but I think that's because of my guitar, somethings wrong with the pickups. The amp sounds great when it's cranked, keeps it's original sound quality, but sounds better when cranked! The distortion can be brutal, just know how to set your knobs and you can get some face-licking ball-kicking gain.

This amp is awesome. I recommend it to anyone past beginner level in guitar. The amp is pretty simple to use, I just wish it came with a standby Switch, really useful. I love the sound that comes out of it, sounds so solid, full, smooth. I compared the half-stack to a Marshall JCM2000, Vintage Modern, and it can compete! For 723$, it's a great budget half-stack, that sounds like a Marshall tube-amp!

I would depend on it, nothing has happened that is bad yet. No crackling noises, fan is nice and quiet every time, no pops. I play it for many hours, and the head stays nice and cool, the fan is working properly. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what's inside, but right now, it doesn't need to be taken apart yet.

The amp is very versatile, extremely versatile, yet keeping its original Marshall sound quality. I play classic rock, blues, and hard rock, and the amp can reach all of them tones with no problem! 2 channels, with 2 positions on each. Comes with chorus, delay, and flanger. The digital reverb knob is seperate from the effects. I wish the amp had a standby switch, so when you go to get something, or go on a break, no need to turn off the amp, just standby! I never really use the crunch on the clean channel, cause when you turn it up, it gets a bit too distorted for the natural warm clean crunch. I use this amp in my dining room, in my house. Of course it has enough power for me! 120 Watts of Marshall quality, can't get better than that. Solid-state half-stack, yet still sounding like a real tube-amp.

High_o
    Bear in mind also that rock and roll is not all about playing Stairway To Heaven note for note, it's 80% image
    Maybe thats why i dont respect your oppinion. if you're in it for teh image, fine, buy a big, unwieldly marshall. but if you only want the best tone possible for the money, there are alternatives (as i've said, vox valvetronix, roland cubes are better amps in terms of tone and versatitly)
    sektor47
    For me, the MG100HDFX totally pwns the MG100DFX in sound quality. It's just higher quality because all the stuff isn't crammed into a lil cabinet, theres a seperate head, so it can work it's fullest, and a seperate cabinet with FOUR 12" celestion speakers, now how crazy is that? Crazy good!