MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Gloucester Soundhouse

I play with a Epiphone Les Paul Standard which has Seymour Duncan pickups at the bridge and a Fender atomic humbucker for the neck pickup. I also play a Encore stratocaster which is cool for playing Van Halen and Steve Vai styled music because of the whammy bar. I also have a Boss gt8 effects pedal which is gopod when I have it set up in the 4 cable method. I play mostly classic rock (Aerosmith, Black Sabbath and Ozzy, AC/DC, Queen, Dire Straits, The Eagles, Hendrix and so on and so forth). The clean channel on cruch mode is great for doing hendrix or Eagles styled music with my stratocaster. The overdrive channel is suited for everything else. The clean channel is good for crisp country type music whilst the overdrive channel is great for solos.This amp has a lot of variety and it's well suited for most types or rock, from blues to classic to country.

This amp is great for me, It allows me to have a diverse range of sounds at the flick of a Switch. The tone is brilliant, it's very reliable and I just love the look of the half stack with the slant cabinate in the courner. This amp is perfect for me and I'm sure that it's perfect for other people as well.

This is Marshall amp. This thing is built like a tank and because it's a Marshall, I can count on it to not breakdown when I need it most. This is probably the only make of amp which I would gig with withoput a backup. I haven't had the amp long and it's only been in my room for about 3 weeks, but I can tell it would take a lot to break it.

This solidstate amp is the stack version of the MG100DFX. The name says it all really. It's a 100 watts, with digital effects (delay, chorus, delay/chorus and flange). It has two channels, clean and overdrive. The clean channel has a Switch that allows you to change between clean and crunch, and the distortion has a button for changing between overdrive 1 and overdrive 2. As the names suggest, when you have the channels on either cruch or overdrive 2, it steps up the distrotion a bit. The two channels and the DFX are switchable using the footswitch that comes with it. This amp also has a CD in that can be used for playing backing tracks or just some of your favourite tunes; and a emulated line out and headphone jack for recording or playing some serious rock at 2 in the morning without pissing off the neighbours. It also comes with a spring reverb and a FDD (Frequency Dependent Damping). When the FDD switch is selected, it tightens up all the mids in your tone and makes your solid state amp sounds more like a valve amp, which rocks some serious ass. It also has a effects loop which is good if you have some effects pedals that you want in an effects loop.

wyldeshredder
    i tried one of these puppys out...and it sounded like utter shit. luckily i smartened up and bought me a JCM2000 half stack...i used to have an MG50 combo and it sucks if ur any louder than bedroom level...as a practice amp,the mg is good...but why do u want a half stack practice amp??? if ur thinking of buying an MG, DO NOT DO IT. DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS ME,AND MANY OTHERS. BUY A TUBE AMP IF UR LOOKING TO RECORD OR GIG,AND GET A SMALL LITTLE PRACTICE AMP FOR WHEN U WANNA PICK UP AND JAM. and 25 or 30 watt is fine,heck i have a 10 watt traynor that i practice through. save ur money for a tube amp people...look at what the big boys play. TUBES! that is all
    Dance_of_Death
    Damn, i can't believe this amp is getting such good reviews. It has piss poor everything. It is an oversized practice amp. My Roland Microcube has more tone than this. I wish some of the negative reviews got on there, showing how this is such a piss poor attempt at a Marshall. Yes i have played this amp, yes i know it sucks. And to the ONE negative reviewer, i salute you, you know tone and you know quality (something this amp does not have).
    SL!!!
    High_o wrote: Bear in mind also that rock and roll is not all about playing Stairway To Heaven note for note, it's 80% imageMaybe thats why i dont respect your oppinion. if you're in it for teh image, fine, buy a big, unwieldly marshall. but if you only want the best tone possible for the money, there are alternatives (as i've said, vox valvetronix, roland cubes are better amps in terms of tone and versatitly)
    This is somewhat true. This is amp is reliable, but it has a marshall price tag. It really doesn't give a very good tone and is hard to mix with a full band if you want any good distortion or overdrive. It's definitely not the best, and the reviews aren't that helpful because some guy was like, **** marshall a 3.3 which isn't fair, but then again others are obviously under the marshall spell and like omg 10 out of 10 which also is not a very good review.
    which ones pink
    We really need to do something about these reviews, they're bullshit. Everyone with experience knows that these amps suck, yet noob reviews keep getting posted, and it's terribly misleading to the people that come on UG for the reviews.
    SkAsupafly
    i like my red one.... i think it sounds pretty good... if your guitar sucks and you don't have a good eq setting this amp will sound like crap.... try it... if you like it you like it if you don't you don't.... sounds good with rg series ibanez guitars for sure...
    psychokiller99
    Aminos wrote: sounds really good with a boss gt-8
    i bet you if you played ur mg with the boss gt-8 next to my JCM900 halfstack (which i got for roughly the same price as an MG stack) you would never touch the MG again. i would defend the MG so far as to say that it makes the 15 and 30 watt ones are decent practice amp. but anything louder than that (especially the halfstack) is a dimwit purchase. there are much better choices out there for the money. but i guess you gotta learn somehow...
    failsaferemedy
    I used this amp while I gigged in a hard rock/metal band and it could do the trick if you worked with it enough. However, I've used better solid state amps, such as the Ibanez Tone Blaster series. This amp has a great clean channel, as far as I'm concerned, and the effects are a plus, but the distortion could never really be as warm as I needed it to be. I eventually sold it and I'm now saving up for a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe so I can get that warm blues tone. It's really a matter of preference. Wayne Static uses these amps faithfully, and they obviously work for him. Whatever floats your boat.
    dilbert_5150
    When do you guys need to use a solid state half stack anyway?! I mean, what's the purpose? You don't need 100Watts for practicing in your home... And if you're playing a gig, do you really use SS for that? This shit rarely sounds good. The only thing it produces is loud noise. I don't own a valve amp, but when it comes a gig time I borrow one. If a was like giving concerts every week, I would buy one for sure.
    High_o
    Well it depends on what you want. If you don't like to struggle with big cabs you'd take the 250DFX, cuz it's a combo. Also, if you're more into metal, the 250 might be a better option, as more power includes better overdrive sound .
    no it doesn't, and anyway, i think the 250dfx is 50 watts with 2x12" speakers, not 250 watts
    phenom1991
    the_dogs_master wrote: Everyone has the right to their own opinions, and I'm sure you have valid reasons for your own preferences, but critisisms need to be constructive or they become worthless. I'm sure nobody would choose an MG as their first choice, but like I said, anyone looking for a new 100 watt head and 4x12 cab on a budget ain't gonna get much better. There's no point advising kids to go out and spend 1000 plus on a rig, 'cos it's not gonna happen. For instance, I could comment on any guitar, stating my preferences for tone woods; how a Brazilian Rosewood five piece set neck with Honduras Rosewood fingerboard adds a warmth to the tone that just needs to be heard to be appreciated, but how's that going to benefit someone checking reviews on a Squire Strat, who wants to know if any bits are gonna fall off. So, come on, let's be constructive here, what is a viable alternative half stack?
    You dont even need 100W but Valveking would be a choice.
    phenom1991
    Here's another problem: WHO EVEN WANTS TO USE A MG STACK?! I was ABOUT to buy one but i tried it out and it sounded like shit. Tube amps cost as much but are miles away from this horrid box!
    phenom1991
    Ditch this amp...or never buy it in the first place. Buy Randall RH50T/Peavey Valveking/Used Tube combo /END OF FUCKING STORY!
    Death-Speak
    I have the MG250DFX 2x12 which I believe is the combo version of this head. I really don't know how to say it without sounding harsh, but it sucks. The distortion sucks, the built in effects all suck, except the reverb which is just OK. The cleans also suck. My Crate 25 watter delivers more tone than the Marshall MG... Save money buy tubes. /End
    SylKain
    I often find this one in rehearsal spaces and I can't find anything good to say about it. I usually use heads as poweramps for my Pod XT Live and pretty much anything goes as long as the cab's speakers are fine, but this one is a nightmare even to use like that! And what about that ridiculous noise it makes from the fan... I'll admit I'm not a big fan of marshals but honestly even the most hardcore fanboy of this company that has any clue about what a decent amp sounds like won't be able to say anything good about this one (except maybe for the price). My advice? If you are really on a budget buy a combo amp and if you want a cheap marshall go for the AVT series.
    phenom1991
    Death-Reaper wrote: m.o.d.--- wrote: E V H 5150 wrote: Is an MG100HDFX better than an MG250DFX? And is either better than a Peavey ValveKing? Or should I go to EBay and buy a 5150 combo? MG100HDFX is the best amp in your price range. Well it depends on what you want. If you don't like to struggle with big cabs you'd take the 250DFX, cuz it's a combo. Also, if you're more into metal, the 250 might be a better option, as more power includes better overdrive sound. I prefer the 100HDFX as I really need the 4x12' speakers (gigs) Right now I'm playing Line6 Spider II series. 30 Watts, it sucks. When at a gig, I can turn the volume to highest, and I'm still not being heard.
    AND I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE YOU DIDNT SAY HE SHOULD GO FOR THE 6505!!!!! *STUNNED*
    phenom1991
    This is shit. You can get a Tube stack for same price as that hunk of junk hooked up with that damn marshall MG cab with those wannabe celestions.