MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I am using an Epiphone Korina SG with this half-stack. This amp supports my music style best, and it supports all music styles pretty darn well. The amp gets a bit of hum as you turn it louder. There is a bit of hum when you turn up the gain, and it's even worse when there is lighting around, etc. This amp can make a lot of sounds. You can go from tones such as, nice ringing bright soothing cleans, soft fuzzy blues, soft classic crunch blues, classic crunch, crunch, raw crunch, hard rocking crunch, metal crunch, metal, deeep leads. The amp has a lot of variety. I can reach some AC/DC tones preferably well, some Led Zeppelin tones, etc. The interaction between the channel volume and master volume knob is incredibly realistic. If you have low channel volume, and higher master volume on the clean channel, the tone stays nice and clean, but if you Switch it around, clean channel volume at full and master volume low, the channel distorts like a real tube amp. If you have the clean channel on full with master on full, you have fairly high speaker distortion! I am not so sure about the overdrive channel, I can't really tell the difference.

I play mostly blues, classic rock, and hard rock, and this amp DEFINITLY fits all three styles. I have been playing guitar for 3 years now. I own an Epiphone Korina SG, Marshall MG100HDFX half-stack, Epiphone DR-100 Acoustic, Fender Frontman 25R, and a Squier SP-10. Not at all, I do not regret buying this amp! If it was stolen / lost, I would probably look and see if any amps have dropped into the same price range as this one, if not, I would rebuy this amp! I love the tone, the looks, the feel of this amp. I hate how there is no standby Switch, and how there is little holds for the head to go exactly into place. My favourite feature, is master volume, it really lets you balance out your clean channel and overdrive channel when you go to footswitch it out. I compared it to many amps, including the Vintage Modern. It can compete with the Vintage Modern, but to be 1/3 the price of the Vintage Modern, I only had the money to get the MG half-stack.

It's been reliability tested AND durability tested. I've jammed for countless power hours many times with the amp on full, I've stood on it while jamming, I've driven it around, so this amp WILL stand up to most things! I would use this amp on a gig without a backup, because my backup would be a low quality 25 watter! The amp has never broken down, I have never had a problem with it at all except for sometimes when you roll the clean channel volume knob, there's a scratchy sound coming from the speakers.

This amp was made actually pretty recent. Both the head and cabinet was made in 2007. This amp is VERY versatile. It's great at achieving many different tones. You can have bright clean tones, mild dirty blues tone, dirty blues tone, classic rock tone, hard rock tone, metal tone. The MG100HDFX achieves them darn well keeping good sound quality. The amp has 2 channels, clean & overdrive. On each of the channels, includes 2 secondary channel options, clean/crunch, and OD1/OD2. It comes with a footswitch for channel and effects. The amp has decent multi-effects. Delay, Chorus and Flanger. Also has a seperate digital reverb knob. There is a headphone jack for if you want to jam at home being quiet. I wish this amp had a Standby Switch. I am known to leave my amp running when I take long breaks, etc, and a standby Switch really comes in handy! I really don't use effects that much, unless I'm experimenting or doing a cover that requires effects to be used. I use this amp as my primary amp, in every situation. This amp is a powerhouse of power! I've already cranked it to full and it is loud enough for slightly larger stages, etc.

TheBloodstained
    I had one.... it was the first decent amp I ever played but as it turned out it just didnt have the tone I wanted.... I have now replaced it with a Randall RH150G3 which just suits my style better.... overall the MG100HDFX is a good place to start if you want something more than a 10watt practise amp
    last_biscuit
    unkownman99 wrote: i have this amp i had shows with it i ****in love it i play in a rock n roll band and i use the overdrive channel with thses settings gain:3 bass:3 middile:8 treble:7 and contour:2 and it is a great amp so every one tht says mgs suck try it before u open ur mouth
    Wow, lyk OMG!!!1!! You've had shows?! f0r realz?! Firstly, Marshall's in general (let alone sh*tty MG's) are too trebley for most people's liking without a bit of tweaking...almost entirely removing the bass from the EQ is beyond a noob mistake, utter idiocy. Secondly, I have tried this amp...almost every week when I can't be bothered to take my amp head to the rehearsal studios my main band use, I have to use these damn heads, and they are dreadful.
    High_o
    plus on stage, you have to be standing in front of a marshall
    wow, poser much?
    uvq
    Bigdave9576 wrote: Seriously now. MG series? The whole series? Rubbish. The avt series is mildy better but if you think this is good its a shame. Maybe if you just play in your bedroom its good enough. If you want to sound good at a gig though....you need some valves. How can someone give this a 10 for sound???? hahah
    i gig every week, not with this amp but with the 250 one.. it sounds better than everybody elses gear..
    uvq
    Doodleface wrote: shaunems wrote: i have been playing for 6 years and im in a band is this the right amp for me? NO! just because it says Marshall, doesn't mean that it's good. this is easily the most hated amp on the forums and theirs good reason. Their is better stuff for that money. I have a Carvin SX100 it has the exact same features as the combo MG. and it sounds at least 10x times better, and it only costs 350 bucks! A Roland Cube, or a Vox Valvetronix are better than this as well. and tube amps aren't all 1000-3000 dollars, check out the peavey valveking, or the ashdown fallen angel.
    yes it is the right amp... the above guy is a tit.. plus on stage, you have to be standing in front of a marshall.. nothing else looks as good... and this amp sounds unbelievable..
    last_biscuit
    ekord123 wrote: i play a lot of avenged sevenfold, trivium, metallica,and as i lay dying. is this amp good for metalcore and heavy metal like that or will i need a pedal?
    No. This amp is good for putting people's windows through, injuring small animals, or making dents in people's faces... all when thrown, I'm afraid.
    Toolshed#9
    m.o.d.--- wrote: E V H 5150 wrote: Is an MG100HDFX better than an MG250DFX? And is either better than a Peavey ValveKing? Or should I go to EBay and buy a 5150 combo? MG100HDFX is the best amp in your price range.
    Buying this amp is practically like flushing your money down the toilet.
    ekord123
    TastyMooglePie
    mikeiscool wrote: Hey. I've been looking around the internet looking for a cheap tube amp. Any suggestions?(Besides the peavey valve king...) $Price Range$: $600-$800
    Go to the guitar gear and accessories forum and ask. You'll get a bunch of help.
    mp3stalin
    jessejames1414 wrote: This amp makes me sad ;-;. I was like "yay Marshall " than I felt like I was dating the sexy football captain until I realized he likes to do it in the ass and is abusive.
    I LOL'd.
    mikeiscool
    acdcrock2000
    AdamDK wrote: I don't get why people are comparing the MG to JCM's, etc. It's a practice amp. It's decent for the price, but there is better amps out there IMO, such as Vox Valvetronix and Cube's.
    I agree totally. I have this amp because it was cheap and it does the job I want it too. I do agree that its a bit trebally, but i just turn it down and keep the bass up. I love that classic rock feel and sound. This is the setting I have: OD2- Gain:7.5 Bass:5 Middle:8.5 Treble:7 Contour:5. I agree that its not the best amp butif I had the money to blow on a valve amp, I would have gone for a Marshall vintage modern stack or maybe a Marshall JVM410 stack. But for it's price, I personally think that it's ok enough. I run my GT8 though it using the 4 cable method and I can just use the EQ on the GT8 to sort out any problems.
    last_biscuit
    *Oh and I forgot to add... Do fullstops exist in the country you come from? Or do you actually talk the way you type? If the latter, you should try to beat the world record for holding your breath...actually, maybe you should anyway if you like the MG.
    Yngwi3
    we have... Try a cranked valve combo.
    Yngwi3
    rockdude_2008 wrote: i was gonna buy this but everyone told me it sucked, wow differnces in opinions on ultimate-guitar.com
    only in the reviews- go into the GG&A forums and they'll tell you why it's such bad value for money.
    unkownman99
    Demonikk
    Only one review was honest imo The one who said this had a tone like high-end Marshall tube amps made me lol so hard
    fleh
    marshall make some brilliant amps but they cost a bomb. (JCM n stuff). also.... marshall make some cheaper amps but their completely crap and still overpriced (MG)
    Kevin Saale
    I feel ill, this amp does not deserve a 10 at all. It's one thing to give a weak amp a 10 when it's cheap and meant solely for practice, I.E. microcube, but this is NOT a practice amp. Anyone who buys a 700 dollar halfstack practice amp is either, A, a total newb, or B, a complete moron. Stay away people, just stay away.
    AdamDK
    last_biscuit
    Oh and before you get me on the 'loudness' argument, I don't have mine on full volume, and didn't buy it for the 'loudness'. I use a power attenuator in the studio when cranking the amp, so it doesn't have to be as loud but I can still really drive the tubes. Through a PA the tone is altered off-stage anyway, so I don't care as much for driving the valves as high, I keep the volume to a reasonable level on stage to eliminate feedback in combination with an ISP Decimator, and that way I'm happy and can hear myself through the monitors or by heading towards my amp
    last_biscuit
    mongo_man wrote: Hey guys! I was just wondering if anybody know how to get a great Rush sound on the Marshall MG100HDFX and the MG412A. Hopefully I will get some response thx
    You don't, you get a decent amp. Christ, having seen the state of things this review page has gotten into since I last posted. About Rush again (briefly), like me, Alex Lifeson uses Hughes & Kettner amps (namely the TriAmp MkII and more recently the Switchblade as well). That is how he gets his tone, with high-quality gear. People, this amp really is as bad as the gearheads have been saying all along. Crank the thing and you will instantly notice the dreadful clipping it gives; and though it does have a fair bit of headroom this amp is so trebley at higher volumes that cleans are painful unless you really max out the bass knob. And I think he was called 'the_dogs_master' but yeah, putting a JCM and Mode Four in the same category as 'good amps' and 'better than the MG' is just sacriligeous to the JCM. Oh and to the person (possibly the person I quoted at the start) who doesn't understand how one amp was louder than this with a much lower wattage...that's because the lower wattage amp was a tube amp. They are louder... 1 tube watt converts roughly to 2.5 solid-state watts, though the actual amount is highly debatable depending on the model. Seriously, I guarantee my H&K Swithcblade stack is A LOT louder than this amp, though they are both 100 Watts. Do some research before you begin reviewing things, I've been playing guitar for 12 years and I still learn things all the time.
    SL!!!
    geetar_alex wrote: Marshall makes alot of from people who believe they truly need 100 watts for a seemingly small price but to be honest if you play a gig you can mic a small valve combo up this is what they do at festivals. there is know way you will get a good sound at the back of a fetival with full stack or two unless its micked up so a small valve combo will save you money in lthe long run instead of purchasing bigger and bigger amps
    True, just like someone else said, this is a big practice amp. It's targeted to people who think they NEED a half stack but don't want to shell out big bucks.
    Bigdave9576
    geetar_alex
    phenom1991
    ^Son...you need to stop being tone deaf! Get your head of out of marshalls arse!
    maoven
    Brainwash wrote: zakk wylde sometimes uses it No, he doesnt. He uses JCMs. He got paid by marshall to appear in ads for MGs. Please look things up before trying to act like you know about them. For all of you wanting to buy this amp, please, save up a little more and go for an all tube amp. If you stick with guitar, you will thank yourself in the long run. The cleans are decent on these, but the distortion is really muddy. Look into a B-52 AT series amp for a reasonably priced tube amp. It may be a bit of a step up price wise, but you will love it. Tubes are also MUCH louder, my 2x12" tube is at least 2 times louder than my friends MG half stack, and his sounds terrible when cranked.
    That's just a piece of crap, it plays well and are LOUD if you want to, the distortion i pretty good and the clean is nice, the tubs have something elese, that's true, but it's a good amp