MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Nevada Music

I play my MG100HDFX through a Marshall AVT 4x12 200w cabinet. I chose to get the AVT cabinet over the standard MG cabinet due to the better response over the entire sound spectrum that you get from the AVT cabinet. I would avoid the standard MG cabinets if you can afford the extra 90 for the AVT cabinet. I play an Epiphone Les Paul Junior, fitted with a Seymour Duncan Invader humbucking pickup in the bridge position. I find that I can almost completely replicate Tom DeLonge's Live sound using this setup, and this amp's OD2 channel is great for all types of Pop-Punk and some metal (e.g. Lamb Of God). I use the OD2 channel mainly, with gain at 7, bass at 6, mids at 8, treble at 7, and contour at 4. I love the sound that these settings give me. When using the clean channel, I must be sure to turn down the volume on my guitar, due to the slightly too high gain that this amp has on that channel. You can however get a very nice tone from it.

I have been playing guitar for nearly 3 years now, and I feel that this amp is perfect for someone of my playing experience. If you have been playing for more than 5 years I would recommend taking a long jump up the price range to the TSL or JCM series of Marshall amps. I mixed and matched all of the Sub-300 (I had a 500 budget to get a stack with) heads and cabinets at Nevada Music in Portsmouth, and came to the conclusion that using the AVT412 200w cabinets with the MG100HDFX head makes a really good sound. I would recommend trying this head with many different cabinets before buying it, some of the cabinets that I tried were very poor. I would definitely recommend this head, aslong it is matched with a good cabinet.

I would certainly rely on this amp, It has been dropped getting out of a car 3 or 4 times, and still sounds the same as it did the day I bought it. This head is used for bedroom practice, rehearsals, and at local venues. I have had many people Who stuck there noses up at this amp due to the solid-state nature, but after hearing it were actually pleasantly surprised.

I purchased my MG100HDFX approximately 8 months ago, from Nevada Music in Portsmouth. It has 2 channels, each with 2 different distortion levels. The clean channel, is what it says it is, no distortion, and it is paired with the crunch channel, which has a little distortion. The overdrive channel has OD1, which is more of a classic rock style distortion, and OD2, which is a very high gain distortion, which has added high and low end. It has a headphone/line out jack, which I find very useful, and was pleasantly surprised as to the quality of the output for recording! It also has CD-in, which I've never used, and a Frequency Dependent Dampening Switch, which effectively emulates tube amps, it's useful if using a cabinet, not useful if using line out. It has a built-in digital FX circuit, and an FX loop. You can use one of 4 different effects (chorus, delay, chorus/delay and flange), as well as the reverb at any one time. There is also an FX level knob, and a reverb level knob.