MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

I run an LTD EX-400 through this 99% of the time but I'll sometimes use my Dean Michael Schenker Standard. I play metal (mostly Metallica) and this amp definatly does the job. My house has amazing acoustics, you can hear a normal conversation downstairs from the upstairs so this amp gets boosted a lot from that. There's no feedback from the amp until you get up to about 7. I've gotten up there once just to see how loud it was and the feedback was unbearable. The amp can go anywhere from blusey to metal, to classic rock, pretty much anywhere. using active pickups the clean channel gets distorted very easily which is annoying but using the Dean it usually is fine. The distortion is pretty heavy, I play with the bass on 9 or 10 which is pretty low but it's not quite low enough for me, the bass needs to be a bit lower and darker but other than that everythings pretty nice.

This is a pretty good match for someone Who plays metal or hardrock, or really anything. I like my bass super low which kind of upsets me. This is my first head and cabnet so I don't have much to compare this to but it's good enough for me. If someone took the amp I'd be upset about it and I'd probably get it again, unless I was told money isnt an option. this is definatly worth the price. I love the nice price, huge volume, and the built-in effects but again, I'd like to have deeper bass tones and a longer cable for the footswitch.

This amp is very light. The head weights 30lb which is incredebly light for an amp which some say means the amp isnt worth getting. I think it works fine. I heard that after being on for long periods of time the fan starts to fail and it smokes a little but I haven't had that happen to me. I've had this for I guess almost 7 months and I've yet to have a problem with it. The amp seems very durable and I've seen it used for gigs and it's worked fine.

I got this amp for Christmas this past year, Brand New. I have the recomended MG412A cab along with it. It has 2 channels with 2 options for each channel. The clean channel offers a crunch option that I've never really had a use for. The overdrive channel has OD1 and OD2. My understanding is that the OD1 is built like a solid state amp should sound (this amp is solid state). The OD2 is designed to mimic a tube amp and 1-ups pretty much everything the OD1 option can offer. The amp has built in effects, reverb, chorus, delay, flanger, and chorus+delay. It comes with a footswitch that lets you Switch between clean and overdrive and turn the effects on and off. I use this at home nonstop. I never take it higher than 5 and I usually wear protective headphones when I do. The amp is a bit smaller than most cabs/heads because it is built for the halfstack package. Also the controls are on the top of the head rather than the bottom which makes it easier to adjust with 1 cab but could be difficult with 2.

sam1618
    Thanks SULLYvin for being a voice of reason here. If you have money for a tubehead, and a better cab, get it, and don't come back here saying how it makes the mg sound like crap. If all you do is post about how amps (that you do not own) suck, then you need to find yourself a girl, mate. I played next to one of these boys for more than a year, the fullstack. It isn't bad, and it holds up very well unless you don't treat your equipment well. If you spend more than half a second on your tones, you'll find what you're looking for, as long as you're not in some industrial "find the wierdest sh** you can" band. Then you can fu** yourself. If your amp broke down within "like 3 hours after I got home" or "right after I cranked it to whatever," then chances are you're not smart enough to try out your stuff IN the store, for more than half an hour. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! Retailers don't get the rad equipment guarantees we do, so they will do all they can to pawn off shoddy stuff on you (not all, but some will). I will say, the head is probably not as good of a piece of equipment as the cab. If you have some extra change, upgrade your head and keep the cab. It performs very well under other heads. I personally like it under the ValveKing, but its all your personal preference, and I'm sure under some heads it doesn't sound quite right. Don't put the head on a better Marshall cab though. I promise it isn't that great. PS none of you are Zack Wylde or Kerry King so why are you so worried about what they play?
    Korzack
    TBH, I've had an MG50 for a couple of years - thought the tone was fairly limited and start well and truly buggering about with the EQ and now I like the sound a lot more - it's surprisingly versatile. Just don't expect it to do valve-work. In all honesty, it's a good choice if you want to start gigging on a shoe-string. But if you try comparing this to a DSL50 or a JVM, it's always gonna come off badly. That';s technology for you - Valve amps are great when cranked - solid states ain't. I like the sound of my 50, and if I need a bigger amp, I'll probably buy this and a 2x12 (because a 4x12 is a stupid amount of hassle for the weight)
    spyguy34
    first comment on here pj u suck lol u just dont know how to use it i bought it yesterday and its killer nough said buy this amp
    ReaperWaits
    I've just bought this with the cab for 200, for the price, you couldn't ask for more. The only people on here that don't like the amp are those that don't actually own it.
    eyebanez333
    ...WOW...damn if people would put as much effort into something positive as they do into bashing this amp we could cure AIDS, cancer, and herpes before the day is over. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon like everybody else and talking shit on this amp because its not a tube amp, or its not really a Marshall, etc. I own this amp, I've played it for over a year and have had 0 problems with it. I got the full stack used for 400 bucks, and its been worth every penny. I've gigged with it several times, no problems and it holds its own against much more expensive amps, including tube models. All I can say is try one out, if you like it, BUY IT. I'm a firm believer that the musician makes the gear, not the other way around.