MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: Local Shop

I have many different guitars that I've used with this amp, with both active and passive pickups. The amp does get a little noisy at high volumes, which is expected with most solid states. Like I said above, you should never need it this loud if you can mic it. The distortion leaves a lot to be desired. I use a stompbox to get the best distortion from it.

Perfect amp for metal, and the cleans are pretty good for being a solid state. I've been playing guitar for a few years now, and I've owned a couple of other amps. Crate Blue Voodoo, Peavey Windsor, and a Line 6 practice amp. If this were lost or stolen, I would probably buy another one, especially at this price; even though I mainly use it as a back up now. The only thing I wish it had was better distortion, other than that I really can't complain. This model gets a lot of hate from people, and it may not be worth what the new price is. But if you get it used like I did, I think it's a very nice amp.

I have used this amp many times Live with out a backup without a single problem. I have had this amp for well over a year now without any glitches. The amp seems fairly durable. The cabs are kind of cheap though, they have plastic handles. For what I paid for this amp used, I have nothing to complain about.

I got this amp over a year ago from a local shop that we go to a lot. This amp is fairly versatile, and I've used it from punk to metal. It has two channels that are footswitchable. However, there is a crunch setting on the clean channel and 2 different overdrive settings on the overdrive channel, so it pretty much has 4 channels. It also has an effects loop and headphone jack. I have used this amp many times Live, and I have the full stack version. You will never really need this, especially since most places have a house PA and you will just mic into that.