MG100HDFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HDFX

Purchased from: American Music Supply

I have played many guitars with different pick-ups through it, and aside from each one having different pickups and wood, the constant is that there is some buzz on the overdrive channel, this is also dictated by the pickups you use(the cheaper the pickup the more buzz I have noticed). The clean channel seems to be noise free, the headphone jack sound great but when outed into recording equipment is very noisy.

I play mainly heavy metal and jazz material and this amp provides the tone and effects I see fit to play it. I have been playing for a little over three years now and usually play either a RR3 Rhodes Jackson, an ESP LTD Kirk Hammett, or my custom made Retro-V through it with out any other pedals or effects except my Weeping Demon Wah. When it comes down to it if this amp was stolen or destroied I would probably buy a high level Marshall, but for the price paid and features I believe it was a great deal. My favorite feature about this amp is the included foot switch and how smoothly it changes channels, my least favorite feature about this amp would have to be the fact you can only choose one effect from the Switch at a time(however the reverb has its own switch)or the feedback buzz.

This head does NOT feature tubes, however it seems to still hold up fine at high volumes and has a built-in fan to regulate the temp. I have used it on a small gig and would say that thus far it has been completly reliable. It has not broken down or given me any trobule in the six months I have owned it. The version I own has a distinct silver finish that has held up so far.

This amp was constructed in 2009, and I would say will acomadate to anyone's style of playing, weither its jazz, blues, rick,or heavy metal. It boasts three channels, built in effects, effects loop, headphone out/emulated line out, CD/MP3 player input, and included a channel footswitch(the foot switch only changes from the channels you have selected on the head and turns the effects on/off). The purchase also included a 4x12 Marshall cap with celestion speakers in it.

SG-Burchett
    sorry-not album-amp.btw -i also didnt make it clear that i have tryed this amp. i was really disapointed by the overdrive.-awesome clean channel though but i felt that it wasnt what i was looking for.the main thing of all i have to say is TRY THIS AMP. then you can make your own opinions but unless you try it-you cant because some people love this amp where as others dont so TRY IT.
    SG-Burchett
    mileo@ug wrote: My name is Michael, I live in Philadelphia, and have a love for Punk; Blues; and Classic Rock... I recently decided to but three particular items: The Boss ME-70, The Marshall MG100HDFX and Cab, and the Epiphone Lucille copy... if someone could tell me how they feel about these three items in particular it sould really help me and my pockets... e-mail at mileo100890@aol.com or im me at mileo2wolf Thank you
    the boss me-70 is AWESOME btw
    tele_god
    this amp is garbage...im glad i sold it...i got my knucklehead reverb and never looked back..imo..dont waste your time or money...wait till you can get the amp you want...this is a disgrace to the marshall name
    hadookin
    they are okay, they get slated way too much for what they are, however, ive had mine for a while in the stack form, and sometimes, the volume just goes and takes some of the tone with it on the overdrive channel! but if i smack the side of it, it comes back... i dont mind doing it haha but playing live? the amp can be a bit of a worry, im not quite sure why this happens but its very annoying, but they do get slated too much, its a great beginner amp if you're not looking to spend much.
    Viking_Swede666
    Pat_s1t wrote: Is this amp any good for metal and metalcore? I'm no where near a music store and i plan to be getting an ESP LTD Alexi 600 this summer in ottawa, so i just wanted some insight on how this performs with stuff like Children of Bodom, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.
    I wouldn't get it. If you're planing on spending the money on a good guitar (LTD Alexi 600), than I would save up a little bit more for a decent amp. it will NOT give you a good CoB sound. just my 2 cents.
    AreaSamuel
    THIS AMP WILL NOT DISAPOINT if you want a good looking, great sounding stack that won't cost too much, this amp is perfect. I got mine for 300 give or take.. and to be honest you can't get better. The sound is perfect for my band and the volume is great.. you get plentyof head room which is great on this as it doesn't sound sh*t when you crank it up. !! WARNING !! it WILL hurt your ears. If I stand a foot away, 1or2 10ths of the master volume shakes the floor. You need to wear ear protection - you only get one set of ears so look after them.