MG100HFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HFX

Using with EMG 81/85. It isn't really noisy at all. Clean is only distorted if you have the gain up, then it can break up on the peak of a note. I like the distortion. It suits me perfectly. I don't want a distortion that is muffled and yucky. However this amp can produce both that and a more usable distortion.

I've been playing for 3 years or so. This head is superior to combos I've had in the past (Line 6, Marshall). If it were stolen I would most likely buy this again unless I had more money at my disposal at the time, in which case I would probably buy a mesa/boogie Mark V. The price is great for this one.

I would depend on it without backup, but for some reason I find myself concerned that the push button power will break at some point. That's most likely the same reason I don't trust push button start on a car.

I play progressive metal, so I need a pretty wide range of sounds. This amp covers them very well. The amp has 4 channels: Clean, Crunch, Overdrive 1 and Overdrive 2. I tend to use clean and Overdrive 1 most of the time. OD1 has a nice full sound to it unlike many overdrives. It provides plenty of gain for those metal riffs I need. Clean channel with some reverb and delay makes for a nice soft tone. The crunch channel sounds nice too, however I haven't found use for it yet. The OD2 channel is too trashy for me. Sounds way too muffled and unclear for my taste (Though I'm sure it would be the preferred setting for some of those hardcore players or something). The footswitch is helpful beyond belief. Find the settings you want and store them to a button and you're ready to go. Quick switching between parts. As many may know prog metal can go from a really hard riff to a clean part within seconds. It has an effects loop which I have tried and it works well, however since buying this amp I haven't found that I use any of my pedals anymore. I find that they all dirty up the tone in a way that I don't like (With the exception of my multi effects unit). There is a 1/8" headphone jack, 2 speaker jacks, MP3 line in. The built in effects seem to work pretty well, however they are too simplified. I prefer to control the timing of the flanger and delays etc more precisely than with a knob. I use this amp for both practices and live. The power is irrelevant because I just mic the cab into the PA.

FireFromTheVoid
    ProgJazzMath
    Guys, seriously, chill with the flame. For the money you pay for this amp, it's pretty damn good. I was in a band with a guy who had one, and it didn't sound half bad. Honestly, I'd give it a high rating for its price range.
    Quoteman
    Guys, this amp isn't to be compared to a 3000$ amp. The amp is an amp that has a good enough tone for gigs and will pay for itself quickly, I don't see much wrong with that. Honestly, the average audience could care less.
    Team_Snorlax
    I have A marshall MG100HDFX i got it when it first came out when it didnt have the huge ugly MG logo on it. and i love it. when they first came out they were good little amps. i dont understand all the hate. but i agree, this review doesnt deserve straight 10s.
    atomicpunk21
    You guys seriously are idiots, this guy's review may be sorta sketchy but this amp is not "shitty" It is a great amp, have you guys ever actually messed around with it?? I thought it sucked at first, messed around with it, found perfect sound and it's my stage amp now, the down sides to it in this review do not exist, except turing gain on all the way on clean makes it distorted, thats true but no one in their right mind would turn gain up all the way on any clean amp
    JStraitiff
    i was careless with the ratings. You can use your brains and just read the review to understand my grievances and likes. To touch on what someone said, I think the fact that the FX bring down the tone has more to do with the FX themselves. The one that makes it sound crappy is my boss overdrive. That pedal isnt really very good so i wouldnt rate down the amp on its account. Other FX like modulation work fine. Anyway. Do your best to ignore the number ratings and just read through. I didnt accurately judge them just because i feel words describe things better than numbers.
    guy_tebache
    Noob review.
    Quoteman wrote: Guys, this amp isn't to be compared to a 3000$ amp.
    But it is. Its in the review section along with all the other fantastic Valve amps. Just by being reviewed on UG you are comparing to all the other amps that have been reviewed. I'm not saying that this amp is the crappiest amp ever, and it certainly works for a guitarist on a small budget, but to give it 10s in every section (especially when the reviewer has already found problems with tone and build quality) is kind of laughable.
    mydian
    OMG this doesn't sound as good as a $10000 tube amp and you gave it all 10s!?!?!?!? The 12 year olds are going to be ranting about this one for days.
    stuman_117
    OK I have one of these exact amps and I have to say for the money It's a good amp. Of course I have a pedal board and don't use the effects pre-programed on it, the only one i use is the clean and it sounds pretty good. I have been playing for a long time and play live and it does the job well. I really am sick of all these beginners posting reviews on shit they don't know what they are talking about though.....But overall with the right board this is a good amp.
    GezzyDiversion
    Great shout. These amps are good for low volume bedroom jams, they do lack onstage, but with the programmable footswitch, it covers a lot of ground. Sometimes I think Peavey employees all have UG accounts and boast about the Vyper and 5150s to increase sales.
    beatreebor
    though i dont agree with the bashing of this amp. i once owned an mg50 and it has to be said, the overdrive channel is disgusting, the effects are awful, the cleans are bareable and it wasnt particularly reliable and this is just in comparison to a line 6 ux1
    zirkonflex
    I don't think it derserves all the ass its getting. Had one (old series) since my beginning days, and I still (rarely) use it besides my engl and Lee Jackson ... its allright for the money, just don't buy any low-priced cab.
    Deth Rake
    FireFromTheVoid wrote: The OD2 channel sounds trashy. You say it doesn't take pedals well. The built-in FX are to simplified. The clean channel breaks up on the peak of notes. You concerned about the durability of the power button. And if you had the money you would buy a better amp. Yea I'd give that straight 10s too.
    It's funny cos it's true. The MG series just taint Marshall's name
    Lord_Doku
    These would only be considered good if they were priced $50 along with the cab.
    grohl1987
    How the hell does even a complete newbie come to the conclusion that an MG + EMGs = 10/10 sound? In fact, hwo can you say you've found no use for one of the channels and don't like the effects' controls but still give features 10/10? This might well be the most herp derp review on this site.
    Creeping_Kwano
    Creeping_Kwano wrote: joined today, been playing for 3 years, has owned a line 6 (probably a spider) and another marshall (definatly an mg) terrible review, prepare to get flamed
    EDIT joined this year
    Pat_s1t
    I can't even fathom why anyone would pay for anything from the MG series over 15 or 30w. They're supposed to be practice amps (and not even very good ones), and this was only put out to make a beginner have the illusion of a great tone because he has a stack. Also, straight 10s, seriously? I wouldn't give anything short of a $4000 amp a straight 10, and even then it would have to be one versatile and durable amp. This review is just so wrong, on so many levels.
    callumbloodpuke
    T7E wrote: How could you give this shit a 10. They are CRAP man. It must be alright to you but when you buy a proper, tube or even a decent solid state, you will see how much of a waste of money this was. THere is so many better options. My friend has this and I have played it extensively and we both agree that his Orange tiny Terror is way superior. A waste
    i agree, marshalls MG series amps are appaulling to say the least, high end marshalls are usually good but their cheaper amps aren't worth the money. and regardless of how good anything is - it never deserves 10 for every field
    T7E