MG100HFX review by Marshall

Marshall: MG100HFX

Purchased from: Guitar center

I play a 59 Reissue Les Paul through this head, into a 4X12 loaded with Vintage 30s. (I use this for practice, trying to save tube time on my JVM410H). I play mostly rock and metal - 80s-90s-present. Likes include Ozzy, Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Malmsteen, Dio, Europe, Santana, Gary Moore, etc... I've had it for over a month, and here's my opinion of the sound quality. Clean channel: is awesome to say the least. Wonderful tones with a touch of reverb and they seem to have a 3D quality to them. Crunch channel: I've been able to get very dynamic response and awesome bluesy tones from the crunch channel. OD1 channel: Although it did't happen easily, but I managed to get fat and alive tones from this channel. I simply love it now! OD2 channel: I found nice for legato playing and shredding. Gain comes easily on this channel, but it is a little compressed. Still sounds really great, with a bit of delay it is nice for solos and shredding. There's a slight noise on this channel but hardly noticeable even at bedroom levels how I use it. If you scoop the mids, and increase the bass and treble, the OD2 channel sails easily into territories of modern metal. ONE secret: DO NOT dime the gain! I use the gain knob on most of my settings around 1-2O'clock! TWO secret: DO NOT believe dumbasses who simply puke at the name of "MG" series. Trust me, I was shying away from this amp too, but this *new* series MG100HFX simply rocks and sounds fantastic. For the purpose of practice, and avoiding tube time and maintenance, it is a great choice. THREE secret: Switch to manual mode and tweak the knobs. DO NOT dime the treble! I don't understand why some people do that. You'll find the sound in your head! If you are after a tube amp, get a tube amp! If you're after a great sounding versatile head through which you can practice on a 4X12, this is an excellent choice. I have other tube Marshalls, and you can trust my opinion. My rating is based on the fact - this is not a tube amp, and it is no JVM! BUT it is excellent sounding solid state head with nice features reverb, delay and effects.

Excellent choice for the price, for the purpose of practice thru a 4X12 with intention to reduce tube maintenance. Great sounding amp does clean thru metal, modern metal styles. I've been playing for around 20 years, and have a couple of Les Pauls, one of which is a 59 Reissue, and a truckload of pedals, some Marshall tube amps - JVM410H and AFD100. I did not find a similar great sounding amp which had effects loop, headphone and aux (CD) in. These features are awesome for practice. You can also connect your external effects processors/pedals straight into the effects return of this head - i.e. just using the power-amp section of this head. This makes the processors/pedals sound absolutely stunning. Try it out, you might like what you hear.

No issues so far. Seems well made and superior to the previous MG series. Seems to have a thump reduction circuitry which prevents that sound when you power on/off the amp. Based on the sound quality I can get out of this, I can gig with it without a backup, though I can use my tube Marshalls for this!

This is the *new* MG series head. I was discouraged by several reviews of the MG100HDFX (previous generation) head, and was searching for something to play with thru a 4X12, rather than using my JVM all the time for practice to save tube time. I love the 4X12 cab sound! OK, having seen several YouTube vids, I thought of giving this head a try. After a little research, I found this to be a very versatile head with features such as: - Line in for practice - Headphone out - fxLoop - Commonly used effects - phaser, flanger, chorus - Reverb, and delay - 2 channels - two modes each, covering ground from clean to blues to rock to metal This I found the only head with a CD-line in, and a headphone out, which can be invaluable for practice. Overall a very versatile amp!

DrewMeyer
    MaggaraMarine wrote: FireFromTheVoid wrote: The OD2 channel sounds trashy. You say it doesn't take pedals well. The built-in FX are to simplified. The clean channel breaks up on the peak of notes. You concerned about the durability of the power button. And if you had the money you would buy a better amp. Yea I'd give that straight 10s too. + 1 But I think this amp gets the hate because of its price. The head is $ 400. You need a cab too so it's like over $ 700. For that price you can get a full tube amp like Marshall Class 5 or Jet City or Blackstar HT 5.
    Or the blackheart little giant. Heck, you could get the black heart hansome devil 15w for less than this. This is a total waste of money. Get a good tube amp without effects, and spend more money and good effects.
    notaspy2009
    My friend has one of these and I've heard him play live with it a couple of times and it sounds awesome. Im tired of all of you guys that are always saying solid state amps suck and tube amps are the only way to go. Sure, tube amps may sound better but in no way is solid state unusable like some of you make it out to be.
    MaggaraMarine
    Jerry-Boy
    If you MUST get a solid state Marsahall, at least get the older HDFX. They don't make them anymore but there are lots of good used ones in "like new" condition floating around on eBay. It's not capable of the programable Stompware 4-button footswitch, but what good are the newer features if your amp sounds bad. The HDFX sounds pretty good and has a Contour knob so you can get a LOT more variations of sounds with it. The newer "replacement" MG amps like the hfx and the hcfx are absolutely awfull. They're not even good for a practice amp. I bought one and sent it back. I'm glad I hadn't let go of my HDFX yet. Maybe Marsahall will get it right again someday, but for now; BE WARNED!
    BradIon1995
    Okay seriously, I have played through a JVM410H, and not just for a few minutes, I gigged with it for roughly a year until it started having problems with build quality. The reviewer owns both a JVM and an AFD100. We both like the MG range, in fact I own a 50 for the bedroom. I would happily buy this head. It sounds like you all just need to learn how to EQ