MG10CD review by Marshall

Marshall: MG10CD

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

I used a '50s Fender Strat with a SD JBjr in the bridge. It sounds great on the clean channel with the single coils switched on, not that good with the jb though. If you turn up the clean channel volume, theres a little crunch to it which is odd because it usually does that with tube amps. The overdrive channel is almost useless. Its very noisy and it sounds thin. My recommendation is to buy some distortion pedal like a Boss DS-1 (not SD-1) or Mega Distortion, depending on what music you play. And out the pedal through the clean channel, it sounds much better if you do that, so I'm going to give it four stars because if you have a distortion pedal through the clean, it sounds great.

This was my first amp, and when I started learning, I was playing Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and some punk (because it's easy). I learned the basics on this amp but I use a Peavey tube halfstack. I recommend it to any new guitarists or someone looking for a small simple practice amp for fairly cheap. From my experience, its very reliable, I could probably drop it down a flight of stairs and it would still work. I don't think it will ever get stolen because its a very cheap amp, it almost like a car theif stealing a Hyundai Accent, it just wouldn't make sense. I like the reliability, the clean channel, the price I paid, the size, and the Marshall logo. The things I don't like, besides the obvious of a small solid-state practice amp, the overdrive channel is very noisy and thin, also the emulated headphones is useless too, it sounds even worse than the amp itself. At the time, I had my friend play it on a few Fender amps, Frontman I think, and I liked the tone over those. If you actually require more effects or better tone, just spend more and get a better amp. For what I paid for this, I'm pretty satisfied.

I've had it for almost 2 years, and its never given me any problems. I've taken it apart a few times and its very simple, therfore it's pretty hard for something to go wrong.

It has two channels switchable on the amp, clean and overdrive. There are volume controls and contour (tone) control for both channels, and the overdrive has the gain knob. Very simple and nothing special. It also has three audio jacks, an input, a line out, and a emulated headphones jack.