MG10CD review by Marshall

Marshall: MG10CD

I use a couple of different guitars with this amp. One of them being an Ibanez GSA60, totally stock, and the other being an Epiphone G-400, and the other being something like EVH's Frankenstrat. This amp doesn't do too badly with any of them, to be totally honest with you. My motto has always been that you can't plug an awesome guitar, into a shit amp, and expect good sound. And while this won't blow you away, the sound quality on the Clean channel is more than good enough. It doesn't really suit my music style, or any style for that matter, but for practice, it's an awesome deal. I play mainly punk rock, like the Sex Pistols, and the Overdrive channel is great for those super dirty, gritty, ugly tones that made the Sex Pistols famous. I also dabble in Rock and Roll like AC/DC, Ozzy, Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, etc. It's normally not very noisy, surprisingly, and almost never picks up any interference. As of now, it's sitting about three feet away from my massive CRT computer monitor, and doesn't pick up any interference. The only interference I ever get is from my Ibanez's neck single coil pickup, but none from my SG or Frankenstrat. I plan on buying some paraffin wax to fix this little annoyance, though. The only other place I've used it is in my garage, and in a friend's basement, and I get no problems there, so whatever. Like I've said about a bajillion times before, this amp's tone is pretty limited. Not much variety at all. But, I like the clean channel so much, for practice and goofing off, that I plan on buying three more of these amps, and making my own midget stack. It should be a cool project. The clean channel stays fairly clean at all volumes. Although, at it's highest volume, you get the absolute, tiniest, most minute amount of crackling. It's totally unnoticeable by anybody other than Who's playing. The Overdrive channel can get pretty muddy, but properly set up, and for only 10 amps, it's absolutely vicious. Don't belive me? Try it.

I play real punk, like the Sex Pistols, and The Clash, along with Metal, from Black Sabbath, to Rammstein, to Children Of Bodom. I also play Hard Rock, like AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, etc. And this amp really doesn't cut it for any of them, though the clean channel is good for Blues, which I infrequntly dabble in, stuff like B.B. King. But other than that, it's solely a practice amp. But it does that very well. I've been playing for close to a year and a half, but I would consider myself to be an authority on stuff like this, because all I do is play the guitar in my spare time. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy another one. Especially at the bargain of $65 I got it for. I mean, it's great for taking to a friend's, too. My Line 6 Spider weighs about fifty pounds, and this thing only weighs, like eight to ten pounds, if I had to guess. So it's not hard to lug around, and is plenty loud for it's size. What do I love? Nothing in particular, but if I had to pick, I'd say just the overall convenience of having a good amount of power in a ten pound package. What do I hate? Nothing. I didn't do any comparisons. I walked into Guitar Center, and it was only $65, and it was branded Marshall, so I bought it. I'm not sorry either. Anything I wish it had? Well, I can dream. But realistically, no. For the price I paid, I couldn't have gotten a better deal unless they were giving them away. Overall, if you're kind of tight for cash, and you need an amp to learn on, lug to school, or a friend's house, and want a good bit of power in a small pack, you can't go wrong here. But, if you're looking at amps in the $100 range, go with the Roland Cube 15, or Micro Cube instead.

This amp is extremely durable. I don't know why others say it's unreliable. I depend on it totally for practice, and tuning my guitars. I wouldn't use it for a gig, though. Not because it's not a good amp, but because when you're in a venue, or something, 10 watts just doesn't cut it. For that, I use a Line 6 Spider II 112. For a $200, solid state, that thing is absolutely vicious, I recommend it. My Marshall MG10 has never broken down, or given me any trouble, and I use it pretty frequently. It doesn't have any tubes to replace, so there's really no maintenance, and I have given it some neglect before. It's taken spills onto concrete garage floors, taken spills from drinks, and been carried in a light drizzle, but I hasn't let up yet.

I'm going to guess and say my amp was made in '03, just as a guess. This little amp isn't very versatile, but it's clean channel is actually pretty nice, and the overdrive isn't all that bad, but it crackles pretty badly with the contour and gain up all the way. Beware using the overdrive, though. Every once in a while, when I push the little black overdrive button, my amp will let out this ear shattering, nails-on-a-chalkboard, demonic screech. So beware using overdrive around CRT computer monitors and things like that. But back to the original subject, no, it isn't versatile, but it's very good to learn on, and can go more than loud enough to shake windows, and knock pictures off of walls, it's happened to me. It's got 2 channels, Clean and Overdrive. Both are alright, but the OD can get super muddy at higer volumes. The Clean channel is actually very crisp, and is pretty nice. The overdrive is actually pretty nice for stuff like goth metal, death metal, and other extremely heavy, kinds of music, like Celtic Frost. I really don't wish it had any other features. It was meant to be a bare bones, plug-and-play, learining and practice amp. It's actually got some nice features, though. It's got an input for CD's, and MP3's so you can jam with your favorite music, which is kinda cool. It's also got a headphone jack, which is very nice IMO. I'm a learning guitarist, still, and it's good to be able to jam in the middle of the night if I catch some inspiration, without waking my mom. I mainly use this amp just for playing in my garage, or taking to my grilfriend's house so we can play. She has a Roland Cube 15, and this is about the same, but the Roland is a bit nicer, and sounds better, but she paid about $50 more for the Cube, so whatever. My little Marshall has more than enough power for me. Like I said earlier, this little bastard can shake windows, piss of neighbors, and destroy anything hanging on a wall. It actually has a hell of a lot of power for being just 10 watts, a decieving amount, really. Both the Clean and Distorted channels can pump some raw sound. It's just a cheapie solid state. I didn't really expect much from this amp when I bought it, so when it turned out to be better than I though, I was pleasantly surprised. If you don't expect this amp to be a Mesa Boogie, then you'll be pleasantly surprised, too. I don't get all these reviews where people expect a cheap, solid state, to be a massive, tube powered monster. Get a grip people, for $65, it's a pretty good deal.

the69gemini
    Okay people, this not a tube Marshall, it's a practice amp. That being said, I now have collected 4 of them which I run at home which is loud enough. They even drown out my brother 30watt tube Vox amp. With the appropriate pedals, these sound awesome! I love my wee little Marshalls!