MG10CD review by Marshall

Marshall: MG10CD

Purchased from: Sohosoundhouse.com

I've played a range of guitars through this amp; Strat copies, a Westfiled E4000 Les Paul copy, an Ibanez AX120 and a Fender Telecaster. I didn't really have much of a musical style whilst I was playing this. As a first amp it was great, and gave me the ability to try out the vast majority of genres I was interested in. Of course this amp could never be played in a gig situation as it's only a 10w, but for a practise amp it's a beast. The clean channel doesnt't get too distorted at high volumes, and the distortion is heavy enough to lend it's hand to punk rock and light metal riffs. Anoything heavier, and you'd need to employ the help of a pedal.

Fr a beginner this is a brilliant amp. I would recommend it. I have long since replaced it with a Marshall MG100HDFX with an MG412 cab, though I do sometimes go back to playing through it if I'm looking for something to take to a friend's house for a jam, and it's small and light, and saves lugging an amp and cab all around town. I love the power this little amp packs and the abuse it can take. I wish it had had a footswitch, as that was what made me eventually buy an effects pedal, but it's only a small amp, and to expect a footswitch is probably too much

I have never, nor would I ever use this amp to gig. It's far too small. The amp broke down a while back, but it had been kept in garages all over town with various bands and had been kicked around an awful lot. What had happened was the soldering on the input jack had been pulled away over time. It took 5 minutes to fix.

This amp has two channels; clean and overdrive. It was a great little amp when I got hold of it, and it came as part of a guitar and amp pack. It's really good for beginners, and it doesn't set you back much, and it has a lot of power for its size. It's probably the loudest 10w amp I've ever heard.