MG10CD review by Marshall

Marshall: MG10CD

Purchased from: Mozingo Music

I'm using an Ibanez GSA60 with stock pickups, so nothing too high-end, but good enough to belt out some serious tone. As both a rock and a jazz player, the dual-channels allow me to play both styles and Switch easily. With cheap cables, the amp has a lot of hum and buzz, but using Monster or any other quality-range cables has eliminated that for me. The clean channel retains its clarity throughout all volumes, with heavy bass, while the distortion channel isn't TOO crunchy, but enough for good rhythm and even leads when the gain is set to higher levels.

Overall, as a beginners amp, the MG10CD delivers. It's a nice, small package with some strong sound for practicing with good enough variety that any user can find some settings they like. However, the CD input is more of a gimmick and I don't find myself using it often. In truth, if my MG10CD broke, I wouldn't be as inclined to buy a new one as I would be to try out other amps in the same price range. If you find a good deal, or try a bunch out and like the MG10CD the best, I would most certainly back your purchasing decision.

The MG10CD has been a rock to me. No breaks, no cracks, no drops in sound quality. As a practice amp, I would never take it on stage, but I can take it traveling or to friends houses and it has always survived the bumps. With this amp, you need not worry about physical durability. It is solid.

The Marshall MG10CD is marketed as an intro-line practice amp offering the added ability of having an audio feed played through the amp while an instrument is plugged in through an alternate input, allowing players to strum along to their tunes. That being said, it meets the marketed aspects pretty well. The MG10CD offers two channels, clean and overdrive, along with a dual-channel tone knob for changing contour. Clean channel owes itself solely a volume knob, while overdrive offers both gain and volume control. Many users might find this to be a little lack-luster, as a wide variety of tones cannot be matched because the treble, mid, and bass cannot be altered. This is the big flaw in the MG10CD which frustrates me the most, and quite often too. The amp can leave some power-hungry players wanting more, but this is only a 10w, and it lives up to that, so this most certainly does not detract from it's score.

skizoman05
    I have this amp and yeah obviously no experienced player would use this to gig with (it is 10 watts) but at home and at rehearsals its great - not too much for features but honestly for a beginners amp is damn good - just get some pedals you need anyways and you're set
    wchurchill
    It constantly picks up radio one
    lol if that was true it would be great radio.