MG10CD review by Marshall

Marshall: MG10CD

Purchased from: Merchant City Music - Guitar.co.uk

I am using it with a Squier Stratocaster with the factory pickups. My musical style is Thrash Metal/Metal and Alternative Rock. It works very well with all three of these styles. For Trash Metal, have the Gain on 9 and the Contour on 7. For Metal, have the Gain on 8 and the Contour on 8. For Alternative Rock (Linkin Park), have the gain on 6 and the Contour on 5. The Amp dosen't distort at all on the clean channel at high volumes, which is quite a bonus if you are using your electric as an acoustic to get to the lower frets. The distortion isn't very brutal, but if you get the gain and contour in the right place then you can play any genre you wish. The amp is also incredibly loud for 10 watts.

I have been playing acoustic guitar for 3 years and electric guitar for 2 months, so this was my first amp. The amp also sounds very nice if you sing down it. If this where stolen or lost, I would defiantly buy a new one, my mate has the MG30FX, and this one has a better tone. I wished it had better distortion, but overall, this is an excellent first amp, and an excellent practice amp.

It is built like a brick and it seems like it will never break. I have had it for 2 months and it has been knocked over about 10 times, but there is no evidence on the amp to prove this. If it was louder I would gig with it without back-up, but this is only supposed to be a practice amp. However it is extremely well built.

I'm not sure what year the amp was made in. The amp can be used for many genres. It has 2 channels, Clean and Overdrive. You Switch between the channels by pressing a little button, but you can't use a foot Switch to Switch between the channels. I wish it had a Bass, Middle and Treble control knobs because it only has one. It is solid state, but it very loud.