MG10CD review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Marshall: MG10CD

Purchased from: Furtados, India

I use an entry level guitar (Yamaha Pacifica 012) with its default pick-ups. It has a HSS style of pickups. I am learning since hardly 8 months but still I can say that though guitar is quite basic, it sounds good although the amp dosen't (as I have tested the guitar with a better amp). The amp dosen't suit my style of music much (I am a lead player mostly). I also use an effects pedal (Boss DS1 Distortion). The amp on the clean channel isn't too noisy until you go beyond the 7th volume level but as soon as I turn on the distortion, the amp gets noisy. It's not the pedal's or the guitar's problem as I have tried them with higher level amps. As I said before, the amp isn't versatile at all and after just owning it for 5 months, I feel like getting another one. The overdrive channel produces a very thin, weak and almost non-existent overdrive so it's useless plus it's noisy.

Even if you are a complete begineer, stay away from this amp. No matter, what kind of music do you play, this amp won't cut it. Get a Roland Cube 15X or something like that by paying a few extra bucks. I have been playing since 7 months but still this amp fails to satisfy me. I wish I had got a chance to test it before buying it (this amp was actually a gift). If it were stolen or lost, I would be rather glad because then, I would be able to get a new one. One thing I like about it is it's size. It's small and therefore I can take it to school for guitar classes. I didn't get a chance to compare it with other amps in the price range and I regret it. All in all, stay far away from this crap.

I wouldn't use it for a gig as it feels like a cheap amp and any sane person won't use a 10w amp for gigs. I haven't dropped it or banged it anytime but after looking at it's construction materials, I can confidently say that it won't last long or survive a drop. It's been with me just for 5-6 months so it hasn't been neglected or broken down yet.

Can't say where it was made but it's probably made recently as it's a very 'nu' sounding amp. I am into hard rock/metal (almost all genres except -core and 'nu'). This amp has two channels. Clean and Overdrive. The clean channel is mediocre while the Overdrive channel is pathetic. The amp is 10w and therefore ain't too loud but does for a small room or a hasty band practice. I can't get all the tones I want from it but it makes for an okay first amp. I wish it had more tone options (like settings for mid and high range, etc) and a couple of effects.

RaziBoy
    edgarvanburen wrote: jc349 wrote: Anyone who likes this amp obviously hasn't played a tube amp before. That's the point- this is OBVIOUSLY a practice/beginner amp. Do you expect a 10 watt amp to be a boutique beauty fit for tube amp users?
    lol, I love it when people use common sense on the internet.
    BlueDaze
    kingpenguin wrote: you can get CRUSHING distortion from this.
    True. However the amp really is only good for a beginner. Once you get passed your first year of guitar playing you'll really dream of better things.
    jc349
    lol I have this amp. I find it sad how many people love it. That said, ignorance is bliss, and if they're happy with it, let them be. They won't get far in life with a MG though..... I myself found the cleans on it usable and decent. The distortion is terribly digital, almost painful to listen to. Anyone who likes this amp obviously hasn't played a tube amp before.
    edgarvanburen
    Shoji001
    RTL1984
    aznskater4life wrote: What amp is good and cheap.
    Get a Cube20x its a good amp for its price Don't get a ****ing Marshall MG10cd its a very SHITY amp !@#$%^
    barfrog
    Shoji001 wrote: OK!!!!! EVERYONE!!!!! LISTEN TO ME!!!!! this amp..... is AWESOME, no questions asked.... so many people are going on about 'uurh its muddy.... meh its clean channel is rubish!!....' ITS ONLY RUBISH BECAUSE YOU MAKE IT RUBISH!!! you think, oh, 40 10w amp, sh*t!!! you dont look past what it can really do! gain: 3, volume: 3, cont: 7 with single coil neck = HENDRIX! sure, this is no tube amp, but i would trade it for a 100w modeling amp because to me, its sounds so much more natural, and dont go and say 'play through a real tube amp!' I HAVE! I PLAY THROUGH MARSHAL AND LENEY STACKS EVERY WEEK!. one last thing.... dont blame the amp, with this amp, if you arnt a good player, it shows bad players can only use very good amps + guitars to make them sound better, real good players can sound great with a squire telecaster and a marshal MG10.... think about it....
    Please tell me youre joking. Please?