MG10CD review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Marshall: MG10CD

I use either my Stagg L350 or my Ibanez RG120 with this amp. Firstly, the cleans sound great on this am on the neck pickup. It's mellow, but not too mellow which is perfect for the lighter music I play. The cleans sound the best on my Stagg L350. Unfortunately, the cleans break up into distortion before the volume it at 5. The distortion channel is terrible. The distortion just sounds so thin and is not heavy enough. It doesn't sound good enough for rock and definitely isn't suited for metal either. The tone/contour control just limits what I can do with this amp. As there aren't other EQ controls, I am stuck with this knob. There is not much I can do to the horrid lead channel to make it sound better. Also, even at 1/3 volume, feedback starts and noise is emitted.

This amp is definitely not a good match for a good rock tone and for a good metal tone. The distortion is terrible compared to my Roland Cube 15X, which I have been using for the past 3 years [I've been playing for 4 years]. If this amp was stolen, I would not buy a new one but I would laugh at the thief who stole this pathetic amplifier. Now this amp is his problem. The only thing I like about this amp is the cleans. On the other hand, the distortion is awful.

This amp does not seem reliable. The fabric speaker cloth looks very fragile and I feel that it will rip at anytime. I would definitely not use this amplifier for gigging. Aside from not being loud enough, the amp feedbacks a lot and the ckeans break up easily. The speaker cloth will probably rip easily. Even cardboard would be better protection.

This old 10 Watt solid state practice amp has: - A 6 inch speaker - 2 channels [clean and lead] - 1 volume control on the clean channel - 1 volume control, 1 contour [tone] knob and 1 gain knob on the lead - Input for guitar, input for MP3 and headphone output Not bad for a 50 amp though, but an EQ should have been included.

nomadic7480
    Just a few more thoughts on the small MG amps. The Roland Cubes and the Line 6 Spiders are modeling amps, right? The sound coming out is a software-rendered emulation of a totally different amp and cabinet. The MG, for all of its solid state awesomeness, is intended to produce a tone organic to that amp and its own cab. For example, it won't sound like a cranked 4x12 with the volume at bare minimum (unlike a modeling amp). However, turn it up to 4-5 and you're gonna get the intended tone out of the cab. In essence, the amp sounds better the more you drive the speaker. This is probably why they went with 6.5" speakers - to balance that because if you went with larger like the Spiders it would be unreasonably loud when volume alone isn't what youre going for. It's been my experience that modeling amps sound worse as you crank them because the magic fades as the reality of the small speaker and cab overcomes the emulated illusion of a 100watt, 4x12 Mesa and you're left with a mess.
    nomadic7480
    Practice amps often expose players for what they truly are. If you are a good player, you'll sound good even on solid state practice amps. If you can't make it sound good (and I've heard players make MG's sound amazing), then you probably don't deserve the $2,000 rig you compare *everything* to in all of your "experience". It sounds to me like a lot of people who come to bash these as not "real" amps should probably get one and use them for their intended purpose - practice. My suggestion is that you do so until you don't need $2,000 to sound good.