MG10CD review by Marshall

Marshall: MG10CD

I got this amp about a year and a half from an adult friend who has been playing guitar all his life. When I first got it, I used an Ibanez RX240 and it sounded alright. Now, I use an Epiphone Les Paul Studio and it sounds amazing. When the volume is low, the tone sounds a bit dull but when the volume is up more, it sounds amazing. The clean channel sounds great for both rhythm and lead work. The overdrive is really good for anything, metal, classic rock, blues. This is why I think this amp is good for all types of guitarists.

I play just about any kind of music, but mostly classic rock. I have been playing for about three years now (one year starting with an acoustic, then have been playing both acoustic and electric for the last two years). This is my first and only amp (but I have plenty of experience with other amps), but If it got lost/stolen/unlikely broken, I wouldn't buy it again, but that's only because I'm looking into a Fender Hot Rod, but I love Marshall amps equally. My only wish for it is for at least a couple of effects, like maybe chorus/echo or something like that.

I don't know when it was made but that wouldn't change it at all because it sounds amazing for a $35 used amp. Water has been spill onto it before, it's been knocked into walls and doors, but it still sounds great.

6 inch speaker, 2 channels. Clean channel: 1 volume knob. Overdrive channel: 1 volume and 1 gain knob. 1 tone knob that control both channels. 1 input jack, 1 CD in and emulated line out jack, 1 emulated headphones jack. 10 watts. Weighs a bit over 10 lbs.

rv_phoenix
    You're right, it's not a digital modelling, I mistook it for an MG FX, this one only has some digital features like CD input and, of course, stamped circuits. It's not an analogue amp, though. But, since you've opened the discussion, nobody mentions the speaker. Arguably, one of the lousiest speakers offered by "good" companies, "custom-voiced" being an euphemism for crappy . As for digital modelling, you're right once again. Simple is better. People don't understand that an amp doesn't have a "sound" of its own. Its sound comes out only when a guitar is plugged in. The sounds "emulated" through digital modelling aren't the amp's own sounds, which don't exist, but the sounds a specific amp produces when connected to a guitar. Not ours, of course. That's why, except for some very expensive digital rigs (that go beyond 10.000 euros), all guitars sound the same when using a digital amp. You plug in a Les Paul, you plug in an Ibanez X, you plug in a vintage Tele from the '50s, it all sounds exactly the same. Something never happened to an all-tube amp.
    MaggaraMarine
    rv_phoenix wrote: Like any amp with digital modelling, this is sheer crap, sold for peanuts to amateurs who don't understand that digital modelling is the dirtiest trick invented by cynical producers to cut costs and get greater profits, instead of selling real amps. I must stress (because people here at the UG seem to have problems when reading) that simple SS amps can be very good: think at Marshall's excellent AVT reissue series. It's the digital modelling who's ruining everything. First and foremost, the musical hearing of the guy who's using it. (Although I doubt someone really gifted could use such a thing, no matter how poor is he.)
    But this amp is non digital. But I agree that I don't like digital modeling that much (because they have so much features that you won't use and it makes finding a good sound too difficult AND they are copying the sounds of amps that exist, they will never sound better than the original amp). Keep it simple is the way to go!
    cowboyteddy
    When you connect the line-out to a recorder/mixer console, does the amp's speaker get muted? thanks, ted
    rv_phoenix