MG15CD review by Marshall

Marshall: MG15CD

Purchased from: Middlesbrough Music Centre

I use this amp with a Vintage V100 les paul copy with humbuckers. The neck pickup gives a very fat sound with this amp which can sometimes be annoying, but fiddle with the amps settings to reduce it, but then when you switch to bridge pickup, it becomes too "tinny" Probably my guitar. I play mainly Guns N' Roses and Rage Against The Machine. The overdrive produces a nice sound which I like to use on songs like "Nightrain" here, the fat sounding neck pickup produces a lovely thick sound for the solo which I like to use. It does not suit Rage at all I use a Zoom 707 for that. If you turn the gain on the amp all the way up, you get a good heavy sound. Think "Star Spangled Banner" by Hendrix. The clean sound is nice for practising songs like "Patience" I once had to do a battle of the bands with this amp at school, I was supposed to be borrowing an 80w Fender but the guy was ill. I was playing rhythm on "Sweet Child O' Mine" so I used a Zoom 505II FX pedal which managed to boost the sound over the drum kit! The clean sound was a bit bad because it too loud for the amp, but I got away with the overdrive. I'm surprised I didn't kill the thing, and I deffinately would just not enter next time (although I will have a Laney TF300 next time). All in all, perfect for bedroom use, a great sounding amp, but not much variation in the sound.

For a practise amp, I love it. I'm buying a Laney TF300 (or an MXD120, still haven't decided) but I would still keep this amp. It's great to practise with. The FDD button does something to it, I dunno what but it sounds nice. I usually just plug my guitar straight into the amp but sometimes I use my 707. This can make the amp go twice as loud, wouldn't recommend putting the amp on 10 mind, A - in your bedroom you will die, B - the neigbours will kill you, C - sound quality drastically goes down! If it were stolen, I would think about getting a bigger amp. I love its ease of use but I hate the fact it doesn't have a footswitch. I compared it to the MG15DFX but decided to get this as it was cheaper and the DFX effects are crap. If you want a good affordable practise amp, get one of these. They are 100x better than those crap Fender Frontman 15w amps.

My MG15CD is actually the second one I had becuase the first broke the day I got it. Apparently, it was due to bad soldering, but everyone tells me it commited suicide because I was playing through it. The second I got still serves me well today, I have had it for almost 2 years now and it still gives off a great sound. Treat it well and it will treat you well, dont kick it or drop it and it will survive. It looks to be built well but I don't dare put that to the test. When you switch it off, don't be put off by the big loud bang you get sometimes (that may just be mine but it is harmless). This amp should last you a long time if you don't set it on fire or kick it.

This is a 15w RMS into 8 ohms Marshall practise amplifier. It has 2 channels, clean and overdrive. They both sound quite nice but it depends what guitar you have. You can get a warm clean sound very nicely, and a good blues rock and good hard rock sound (settings given in manual). This is perfect for practising in your bedroom, you wont get it past 3 on the overdrive channel without a knock on the door from the neighbours. The clean channel is quieter which can be annoying, but it doesnt matter as it is a practise amp. 5 out of 5 because of the easy to use features. A great amp for a beginner. Unfortunately you cannot get a footswitch which is also annoying.