MG15CD review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Marshall: MG15CD

Purchased from: The Arts

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus with 2 Epiphone designed humbuckers with alinco magnets. Unfortunately, I have to run a distortion pedal, or a multieffect pedal all the time to get a reasonable sound. When the volume (clean) is turned up all the way, you do get good sound (distorted), but it isnt very house-friendly. This amp is very noisy in all environments, especially with the gain over 4-5. The distorion can get very distorted with hi gain, but otherwise it is terrible.

This doesn't match my style as much as I thought it would, but with my pedals, it works out OK. I've been playing for over a year, and I use an Epiphone LP Custom, I use a DigiTech Hot Rod for distortion, and a DigiTech RP80 for fun. I definately would have asked to try better guitars with this amp, because my guitar now is of a higher quality than the ones I used at store, and I would have asked to try some differnt brands! If this was stolen or lost, I would probably just get a better amp, probably a Marshall tube combo. I love the contour knob (kinda like the mid dial) becuase without it, my mids would be scooped! Thank god for that! I hate the sound of this amp, very dry. But I do wish it had, Reverb and Tubes!

I've managed to damage it a lot, and it still works fine. Nothing is broken or wrong after a year. I haven't had to do a thing to it. Although, I wouldnt gig without a backup, because of its small wattage, it would be turned up. I've never had the volume on full for more than an hour at a time, so I don't know what would happen.

I play mostly rock, with a touch of blues. I got this as my first amp about a year ago, it doesnt suit the styles well, because of its weak distortion. This amp has 2 channels (clean/od), the clean is alright, but the distortion is terrible. There is no footwsitch, alothough the amp has a handy little input for a CD player, and headphones. The amp is 15 solid state watts.